Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
MaverickSailing

Post by MaverickSailing »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, but not new to sailing.

I've got a Hobie Cat 16 which I am selling. And then there is the Chrysler C26 that my dad has has just given me.

It has sat on the trailer for the last 8-9 years collecting rain. Before that I spent a season sailing it in Lake Michigan.

The biggest problem we had was evert time it would rain for a couple weeks we would find 6 inches of water sitting in the cabin sole.

Since looking at the boat a few weeks ago I've pumped out 18 inches of water the first time and another 8 inches the second trip over to where the she at.

That being said my first job is going to be to remove every deck fitting and tow rails, prime, paint, and seal everything as I put it back together.

I have a YouTube channel that I will be posting regular updates on my progress of the restoration of Maverick.

Thanks
Adam
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hi welcome aboard, glad you got logged in ! They sure can leak and my main tortures have been toe rail and portlights..
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Welcome Adam!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome Adam!
I look forward to seeing your work!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome Adam...I am also looking forward to seeing your video log of the restoration. Although my boat is the C22, I have many videos of work I have done on her at my YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv6aCu ... 5KnrMWUX_Q
Bill
MaverickSailing

Thanks

Thanks y'all.

Astrorad I have your channel subscribed already and have watched most of your videos on the C22.

Here is my channel

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMWTfBBxBrHppAOPncIx_6g

Thanks for watching in advanced

Adam
Maverick Sailing
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
monty

Post by monty »

Well . . just watched your video and the good news is with that much water staying inside you should have no problem keeping the lake outside!!!

All kidding aside, you've got some work to do - clean up will make a big difference and leaks should be easy to find !! Galley is junk, I tore mine out right at the start and moved it to the port bulkhead - being mainly a solo sailor I don't need the seating and access to the diesel was paramount.

Love seeing an abandoned Chrysler come back to life, good luck!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
MaverickSailing

Galley

Monty,

I would love to see pics of your galley, since I plan to live aboard I want to build the galley with that in mind.

Adam
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Adam, thats about the same amount of water I found in EE after someone left the companionway hatch open and I hadn't been to check on it for a few months. In my case the foot of the winch stand has deteriorated, and the lower few inches of the plywood keel trunk sides were punky beyond hope...so do check those
MaverickSailing

EE, yeah I was planning on checking those once I get it back to where I live so I can take stuff apart. I'm sure that I'll have to replace the compression post too.

Thanks to your web site I know that I can add an automatic bilge below the head.

I just wonder if I have the concrete or foam under the cabin sole.

Adam
Maverick Sailing
Chrysler C26
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

So far seems like earlier 'flat top' models have foam and lead bars, and the 79 types concrete and lead. Just based on what I've seen or been told. Let us know what you find !
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome Adam!

Subscribed to your channel and look forward to seeing the progress!

Billy
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

welcome to the forum

Post by hp18carr »

Adam

Welcome to the forum... I can feel your pain in part when it comes to restoration. like you said working fulltime is a real time killer. Double that when you are working on two sailbots. There is light at the end of the tunnel my retirement is on the horizon. Looking forward to seeing your work.

First two photos are of my Chrysler 26' 1980, the next two are of my 22' O-day 1973.

Good Sailing
Terrence