All Tucked In...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

All Tucked In...

Post by OutnBacker »

Chance is all tucked in for the winter. Now that she's in the shop, let the projects begin...

Just wondering what measures the rest of you are taking in the face of this unseasonably early arctic blast. Here, it only dropped to the high 20's, and rarely gets colder than that.

John (OutnBacker)
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Lady Jo has one of the simple heated dehumidifiers that runs in cold weather. Not so much to protect from cold but to promote air movement inside. The idea is to simply keep her as dry as reasonable!

Destiny on the other hand has a pair of heaters and a pair of dehumidifiers. She has a heater in the main salon and one in the forward birth. The aft birth gets a de humidifier as does the forward head. All cabinets get left open as does the engine access panels. All doors stay open to all air flow and heat sharing amongst cabins and heads. We tend to keep her interior around 50 degrees. Sadly the marina considers the power at the docks to be made of gold.

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Yup, air movement is the most important to keep down mildew. It likes static atmosphere and a temp between 38 and about 50 degrees best.

My shop is insulated but not heated unless I fire up my old Coleman catalytic heater. With the 12 foot ceiling I have to run a fan on low to get the heat down where I can feel it, but it does warm up.
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

9 degrees here tonight!

When we take out we clean the bottom an topside with a weak bleach solution in a 5 gallon bucket then rise with fresh water.

We winter our C22 in the shop...

Don't forget to empty the water from the depth sounder if you have one inside the hull like me!

When I winterize the outboard I make sure to turn it over a few times after the carb runs dry and spraying seafoam directly into the carb. I take off the garden hose supplying the water to the motor when it quits... let the motor drain... then hit the start button a few times to get the last of the water out of the impeller also.

My shop isn't heated or insulated. The porta-potty is cleaned an emptied then left open. My freshwater jugs emptied and open... hatch boards removed and cubbies open. All sails stored with the stuff bags open also.

5 yrs doing this and the motor starts right up an no mold anywhere come Spring ; )

Billy
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I got my boat home Tuesday, an yes my boat was the last to come out of the water. Too cold Too soon
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I got into the habit of manually turning the motor over a few times during storage to keep the fins on the impeller from developing a curvature memory against the impeller housing. It's an old habit and might not be valid with today's newer materials, but I still do it.
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18