free boat

Special area for the smaller Chryslers - Musketeer, Buccaneer, Mutineer, Man O' War, Pirateer, Daggers, etc.
walkerlake1

free boat

Post by walkerlake1 »

Image Found on side of road.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Found on side of road??

That is cool!

Scott
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

Lol CaptainScott. I found it on the side of the road with a free sign on it a few years ago, nothing but the hull. Couldn't find a mast or sail so I did a little research online (woodenboat forum) mostly and built a mast and two spars out of scrap lumber, epoxy and a 2 cheap handplanes. Repaired daggerboard trunk (poorly done) and daggerboard and rudder also. Bought a giant sail off ebay and cut it down and sewed it using my Mothers old sewing machine. I've been sailing it on a lake where I live. The trunk is leaky and I think the flotation (shaped like two big logs ) is under the seating area on both sides. Seems to sail well but I believe the hull alone weighs at least 4oo lbs! I check the local weather every day and if they call for 5-10mph or better I get out on the lake. It seems to sail about as fast as my friends sunfish but I really dont push it cause I dont know If I would be able to right it If I capsized. I would like to remove all the foam, redo the trunk and put covers on the front access holes to try to make the hull watertight. Will removing all the flotation negatively affect the sailing? can it be too light?

Dave
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

NICE!
removing floatation will remove SOME minimal weight from the hull offering slightly less sailing stability however that lateen rig you have on there offers more stability than what you might lose in lost weight.

Only other thought might be is if that hull is not water tight, you run the risk of actually sinking her! Keep life jackets handy at all times if not already on!

Personally replacing the floatation sounds great but in a small boat I don't think I'd remove the floatation.

What state do you hail from?
Welcome to the forum!

Scott
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

Hey Scott,
I'm from Pennsylvania. I reread my post and what I meant to say is would It be worth it to remove the old heavy flotation and replace with noodles or bottles or some other lighter flotation? The boat seems to sail well although I don't have much sailing experience. Its seems like it would be quite hard to remove the old stuff. I'm leaning towards doing some capsize tests in the spring in shallow water to see A) if she floats and B) how easy she is to right once capsized.

Dave
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nice shot!
I highly recommend practicing the capsizing of your boat! You know all the safety warnings and such go with it however if you learn to flip your boat over and back it removes a lot of fear and helps build respect for what she can do!

Keep in mind the depth when you turtle her! don't want that rig stuck in the mud either! I was showing off for a girl once many moons ago, rolled the boat and stuck the mast in the mud and murk! When I righted the boat all that garbage came down on top of the deck and ME! Not so cool but she laughed so all is well! We've been married for almost 23 years now!

Scott
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

Purchased two of those deck plates? removable screw in covers to seal off the two access holes in the front of the boat. There is also a small hole in back of foot well to let water drain into rear sealed area. I'm gonna drill that hole bigger and use a plug like the one on the back of boat to make her as watertight as possible. Water is still not to chilly here. I'm debating if I should don my scuba diving wetsuit and do the capsize tests now or wait till spring Lol. My eventual goal is to tow my early 70s boat to some bigger, windier lakes with my early 70s Jeep.

Dave
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Very nice!
There are several cars guys floating around the forum, myself included!

Would look cool having the late 70's look going!

Scott
walkerlake1

Post by walkerlake1 »

Holy Crap. I just took that beast down to the lake in 16 mph winds with gusts to 25, wearing a shorty dive suit in case I was dumped. I didnt go over but i almost did like 15 times. What a rush, at times I was hiked out as far as i could go and the opposite seat was partially under water. Finally I said the hell with that and rammed her up on the beach.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL!
Sounds like fun!

I stuffed an 18 SolCat up a paved boat ramp about 30 feet one day!
Very low tide which left the lower ramp exposed and covered in slime.
I was broad reaching with dagger boards up and one rudder up in a gentle breeze. IN the last moment a gust caught me and send me slipping right past another boat, trailer and tow rig! Had to get help to put her back in the water so I could get her on the trailer! Lots of fiberglass work that day cost me! :)

Keep enjoying her! Only gets better!
Scott