Main sheet traveler upgrade on C22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Main sheet traveler upgrade on C22

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Here are some pics of my traveler upgrade.
Thanks to Dan for donating some stock to this project.
Blocks, cam cleats and lines all from Ebay.

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Capt. Bondo....looks good...how are the end block plates secured to the track?...Are you still using the stock plastic rollers for the center slide?
Bill
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

...how are the end block plates secured to the track?
The bolts that secure the cheek blocks run through backing plates located in the track and locking nuts that clamp the block plates on the track. The origional retaining pins are in place if they slip. So far no issues, but we have not been out in any force 5 blows yet :wink:

...Are you still using the stock plastic rollers for the center slide?
Still using th stock plastic rollers on the center slide, however due to there age, I'm on the lookout for something to replace them...any ideas?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

HEY! That looks nice!
Nice job!

That may be the next upgrade I do on Lady Jo!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I am in the process of modifying my traveler center slide. I fabricated some 1/4 inch thick HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene) pieces that will replace the rollers and that are held in place by the steel pins that the rollers used to pivot on. I found that I either need a thicker piece of HDPE or what I intend on trying is some thin polycarbonate material that I have left over from my sliding companionway hatch repair to be sandwiched between the aluminum slider and the HDPE slides. The polycarbonate will be taller than the HDPE and will act as a bearing against the aluminum traveler track inner sides.

I will have to wait until spring to post a video, as the boat is now covered for winter and I have to test my idea out before final approval from the design team to go into full production...one unit...LOL. I did a preliminary test of the HDPE slides and they seem to be at least as good as the rollers...probably better and stronger. I will also need to use longer steel pins to hold all this in place...the existing pins are too short and are merely press fit into the aluminum. I intend to use the unthreaded shoulders from some long stainless steel bolts. They only need to be about 7/8 inch long and will be glued in place with JB Weld epoxy as the existing holes are slightly larger than 1/4 inch.
Bill
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Very neat install. My C-20 doesn't have a traveler, but I vow that by next season it will.
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.