C26 - Height of Mast

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
briceburg

C26 - Height of Mast

Post by briceburg »

Does anyone know the C26 Mast Height? Also is there a spec for height off the water (e.g. helpful to know when passing under a bridge).

For some reason the oracle of google has let me down on this one :)

Happy sailing,

~ Brice
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi briceburg,

If I may, intervene here:
PLEASE measure your own mast and over all height. It is not a good idea to trust others in such an issue. I am in no way indicating you would get incorrect information from others, I am implying there could be changes to your boat you and others may not be aware of. Especially in a boat the vintage of our Chryslers. Whatever number you get here will likely be right on the money. However, you really do not know for sure, it is simply a very good estimate.

Next time you are at your boat you can do a few things. Use the main or jib halyard and run one of those 100' tape measures up the mast wire tied to the halyard. Measure to the base of the mast. Your halyard will not likely reach the exact top of the mast so add a foot to cover the extra few inches. Now what is on top of the mast? VHF antenna? Anchor light? wind vane? I'd and another foot for all the goodies other than the antenna. Maybe add 2 feet if you have an antenna.

Now measure from the water line straight up and rough guess the top of the coach top. You should easily get within a foot. Always estimate a little high. You can use the bottom paint as the water line if you are on a trailer and can directly measure the mast if it is on a trailer.

With some conservative measuring you can have a good idea of your height.
If the bridge you are going under is even close to your height just avoid it! LOL!

I am of course speaking from Puget Sound where I can simply avoid any bridge that measures within 5 feet of my boats height!

. . . . .and yes . . . . . . I have very personal experience with this issue. I owned a 1978 32' Endeavour. My wife and I shaved every item off the top of the mast. Wind vain, antennas, anchor light, EVERYTHING. Why? because I trusted a good source instead of measuring what I had every chance to measure on my own.

Just sayin' . . . . you have vested interest in having accurate data. Why not collect it yourself. I wish I would have and always do now!

8)
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE is a good example of what Scott says; when we first set foot on board the sink thru hull was 6 inches under water...after the bottom job and removal of years of growth that thru hull is now well above water ! So in 2003 I would have mislead you by a foot if I'd have measured mine for you ! :oops:
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

good info, always seams to be taller than it is long?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Only when things are looking up!
LOL!

Maybe someone can give the height of their own C26 as an example?

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote: Maybe someone can give the height of their own C26 as an example?
Scott
EE's mast 30' (lying on cradles in back yard)
EE Freeboard from Waterline to toe rails 3' (on trailer)
Distance from toe rail to mast step 1.5'

Call it 36' to be safe.
briceburg

Post by briceburg »

Hey thanks everyone. Will measure once I get to boat. @ 30' mast is what I needed to hear :)

Doing some rough rigging calculations as well.

~ Brice