Check impeller

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Check impeller

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Lucky me, My C-26 only brakes down in my driveway. I am getting ready to put the boat in water. Last year it stayed home, the last thing I do be for going is to put the outboard in water an make sure it runs all right. Last night it started rate up an pumped water. To day it started rate up but did not pump water. I changed the impeller 4 or 5 years ago, but is must be time to change it now. I have the new impeller an the know how to change it. Lucky me that it stops working at home in the driveway.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good for you running the motor at home!

More than once I've been at the ramp watching a fellow boater get very upset with his boat that will not start. I have herd the comment " It ran just fine last year" more than once! YIKES! Last time you ran that was last year?

I Always run my motors before launch. Whether my dinghy or my 22, or a boat I'm working on! ALWAYS fire them up and make sure they run good before going to the ramp!

Speaking of which, our dinghy "Trouble" will be getting a full tune up tonight! If possible she'll get new tires for her trailer too.

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Captain Scott, You have a vary nice part time job, sailing brand new sailboats around. You got the know how, I do not. I have the 8 foot Walker Bay, with a 2 1/2 Cruise in Carry the one with the weed whacker motor. My impeller was a total burn out, I bet that I let the water level in my tank get to low. It will be nice to start the year off with a new one. Can't say in what year it was made, but it has not been used. I will put in at my brothers 2 miles from my house an sail 25 miles to my slip. The night be for I will have 93 year old mother fallow me in hear car, wile I drive my car to the slip. Put out my lines for the boat, an leave my car an drive mother home. I can walk from mothers house to my house. Will that's the plan
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like a great plan! Take some photos to share!!
Have fun!!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

To preserve the little rubber fins on the impeller, the motor should be rotated each time you walk past it. This moves the fins around so they can fully spread out in the cavity. Just pull the starter cord a couple times in gear. Make sure you pull the plug or it can be tough.

It helps if the motor is inside a garage so you don't forget its presence. Keeping a motor on the boat, out behind the shop, out of sight, out of mind, will lead to flattened fins on one side of the impeller (the water cut-out side) and an overheating motor.

Do this and sometimes an impeller can last for many years. Pulling or loosening the plug should also be done, both to easliy pull the cord and to keep the plug from seizing in the threads. Smear a bit of motor oil on the threads.
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I think the last time the outboard was off the boat was in !979. It is boated in place. An the wire harness is large, an hard to remove. The last time I replaced the impeller one of the four bolts was broken, an looked like it had ben broken for a long time. So I just used three bolts, if any of the other bolts were broken it may have ben all right. But the broken bolt is in the discharge were the water goes up the tube, so that when running the outboard water shot up out of the missing bolt hole. This time I removed an replaced broken bolt. May be I can post photos, at least I will give it a go.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I see. Well...that can complicate things...
Current: '75 Montgomery 17 #65
Current: '78 Chrysler 20
Past: '78 Chrysler 22
'98 Bauer 12 - gaff rig
'78 Orion Malibu 18
Forever: '83 Grumman 17, gunter rigged with jib and trimaran outriggers.