C 26 Swing Keel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
BC

C 26 Swing Keel

Post by BC »

Hello all: I'm looking for suggestions on raising a swing keel on a C26, probably a C22 being very similar.
I came across a c26 just a few days after giving my c22 pop-top to a friend that had done some work for me and needed a place to live. The 22 is sort of rough but will be good for his needs.
The C26 is very good except for the keel. It has been full down for over 6 years. I'll need to get the keel up before trying to sail it home or to put it on a trailer for the trip. Anyone ever had this situation? Any advice on how much pressure could be put on the crank to pull the keel in?
I'm going to dive on it in a few days and thought I might get some good advice from the group. Thanks BC
When you come to a fork in the road - take it!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Shouldn't need any real hard cranking (under normal conditions) to lift so if you get a hard snag stop ! You can also fold a long line in half, tie a weight to the midpoint (pipe wrench in my case) then drop that over bow and walk each half back along each side of the boat till you catch the keel low, and then use the winches to crank up each line. Of course if that slips when you get almost done, its kablam down ! So a combo of keel winch and line might be good practice to follow

Courtesy of Windward's site here's an example with some pics
http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_swingkeel
BC

Swing Keel

Post by BC »

Thanks for the excellent guide.
I had intended slow and easy, now with this guide I think Ill be able to get it done.
Thanks BC
When you come to a fork in the road - take it!
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

It has been down for 6 years, an you intend to dive on it. It would be a good time to see if the keel trunk is clear of obstruction. An you could make up a spar cable, thy are not hard to change. Check your cable, rather than have the keel slam down, witch can cause damage to keel trunk.