June 21th is Summer Sailstice

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

June 21th is Summer Sailstice

Post by Capt. Bondo »

http://www.summersailstice.com/events
Even if your not hosting or participating in one of the events listed on this web site.
JUST GO SAILING! :wink:
Or do something on or near the water...you owe it to yourself!
Post a picture to this thread and we'll have a Chrysler Sailers virtual Summer Sailstice event 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Stand by - there will be pics of the First Launch Attempt ~ C-20.

The name of the boat is Chance, and there is a good chance it might leak like a sieve thru the semi-rotted keelhead trunk, which will cause a Mission Abort.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Summer Sailstice underway...

First Launch pics:

Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I don't think the built-in floatation would allow the boat to float so high in the water. Must be it doesn't leak, and it sure looks pretty good. Hope you're having fun sailing it.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Maybe it's because there is only minmal gear and no passengers aboard. Since I didn't know iof it was going to leak, I changed my plans and left all non-essential stuff at home and basically just took a lunch and a small tool kit. Plans for Jeff to stay aboard were cancelled and he'll come down today. I went back to the marina last night at 10;30 to re-check for leaks, but found none. All good with the boat so far.

I'm hoping for better wind today to get the bit between her teeth a little.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Day II ~ Summer Sailstice...

Crewman Jeff joined me for the day. He'll sail anything I buy, he tells me. Hmmm... maybe that explains why he has the degree.

Anyway, overnight mooring saw no leaks around the rotten keelhead trunk and we took Chance out at about 11am on an almost calm sea. Again, the motor ran well and we headed down channel and out about a mile onto the bay. By 12 noon, we could see the wind coming down the slot with whitecaps visible and frequent. SailFlo predicted the time accurately, but got the velocity wrong. What we expected was a rather mild ho-hum day, but got a steady breeze of 12-15 mph. Perfect for testing an unfamiliar boat.

The rest of the day we were able to keep a vigorous pace, getting a good feel for the stability and seakeeping qualities of this Herreshoff hull.

The first video was shot in the relative lee of Hat Island, showing some calmer water but good speed of 6.2mph on close reaches. The second vid shows us heading towards the more open ares and the bumpier seas. I didn't shoot any video in the hardier open fetches coming down from Camano Island. There, the seas were more like 2.5' to occasionally 3' breaking often. Lots salt spray washing the fore decking, keeping her nose wet, and running along the weather sidecoamings. Chance would not heel more than 15 degrees and the lee rail didn't come close to dipping.

Her weight gave her the advantage of bashing through, rather than porpoising or bounding much. For a 20 footer, with this beam, that's very good seakeeping. She'll do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mflp7meyjnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1VYwj ... e=youtu.be
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Summer Sailstice on the St. Croix River, upper midwest found light winds with no wakes zone due to flooding.
The light winds allowed us to shake out the 150 jib that I picked up in eBay last year. Is sail will be great for the days that the wind was less that 7mph when we would not usally go sailing, it supplies good power in light winds and points well to windward

A lot of sailboats took part in the unofficial Summer Sailstice.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place