C-20 First Launch Attempt

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

C-20 First Launch Attempt

Post by OutnBacker »

Tomorrow (friday) I have the day off, and will be attempting a first launch of my C-20. Raising the mast is a no-fuss procedure, so the real test will come at the ramp itself. I have a 5ft stinger I made to use as an extension, but the boat sits pretty high on a roller trailer, so getting enough water under it might be a show stopper.

So, before I raise the mast, it goes down the ramp to check that. While wetted, I'll slightly float it and go aboard for at least ten minutes to check that rotton keel trunk for leaks. That would also be a show stopper and a point of great dissapointment as well, because it means that I'll have to spend hours repairing it now - during sailing season, rather than this winter in my shop.

Capt. Scott, you are welcome to come down and heckle, as usual. If all goes well enough, I'll be moored for the weekend at Guest Dock South, near the opening to the marina.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/ Bruce posted nice photos of his C-20, I think yours looks the same. Best wish's
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awe man!
I would love to but I will be unavailable all weekend!

FYI, you probably already know this but ramps 7,8,&9 are the deepest.
Stay away from ramps 1&2!!!!

I have put in so much time on sailboats the last few weeks that I promised a nice little getaway for my bride and I!

Most recent was a brand new Jeanneau 41. Next up is a brand new Jeanneau 46!

This sailing thing on other peoples boats is COOL!! heh heh!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Capt Scott: Fine. ....that's just fine, then. You just go on and waste your time with Diane. Fine....

Chrysler20%26:
Well, you get two choices in these: Gold hull or White. Someone painted the bottom with black antifouling paint that looks and feels likew Rhino-Liner. Gotta be a speed killer, and it'll come off if I like the boat after this season. One of the few real projects I have been able to identify.

Today is the Big test - whether it leaks badly enough that I shouldn't sail it and will have to put it in the shop right away.

I continue to be impressed with the heavy gage of wires and solid rigging.

Well, it's going on 9am so I better get loaded and take it down to the sea...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OutnBacker wrote: Someone painted the bottom with black antifouling paint that looks and feels likew Rhino-Liner.
That paint is an ablative anti fouling paint. If you keep your boat permanently moored in the water the growth will stick to the paint then the paint will sluff off. In effect barnacles will not stick to your boat. I know for a fact that boat WAS moored and thus the paint. It is not really meant for race boats or boats who live on trailers.

There are other options including bare gel coat. Keep in mind if you sand it off and replace with a hard paint you'll need to get it ALL off as they are not compatible.

I run the ablative paint on Destiny AND Lady Jo. Reason for Destiny is she is ALWAYS in the water. Lady Jo gets it because it is left over from Destiny!

:)

Scott