C-20 Opportunity

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

C-20 Opportunity

Post by OutnBacker »

Like I said in another thread: I sold my C-22, but may be back in the Chrysler Sailor's Lounge soon. I've finaggled my way towards a C-20 in the local area. It's the same one that Capt Scott owned briefly a while back. Hopefully, I can get to it before it sells so I can thump the hull and decks, etc. It really doesn't matter, I'll likely buy it anyway. Pretty much anything can be repaired, and how many C-20's are there available, right? ...right? But I do hope the core is not rotten. Very icky fix.

Will post if successful...
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good luck, I have a C-20 gold with a white strip, vary nice boat an fun to sale.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

This is a white one. The pics show a waterline stain that gives me pause. It looks like the boat was left moored over a very long period of time, unattended. The staining shows the boat was floating 'bow down', that tells me there was probably ALOT of standing water inside. It's hard to imagine any other explanation. There are no cushions, so I assume they rotted from the moisture and were tossed. I'll be thumping every square inch on this one - insde and out.

Saturday will tell the story...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

This boat was moored in Lake Washington by the previous owner. OK, several owners ago! LOL!

IF memory serves, there were no real issues with the boat other than in need of general cleanup. There was a home made electrical panel on the starboard side that was clearly not a priority for the owner at the time. I believe the radio in the boat worked and running lights. I do not believe the interior or mast lights worked but that is all suspect info from a poor memory and to many boats.

The boat had no cushions when I got her but otherwise was in generally very usable condition. You could sail her immediately including the excellent running motor. I do not remember ANY soft spots in her hull.

The only thing of very minor concern for me was the trailer. Again, if memory serves the trailer was in EXCELLENT condition and very nice however was not a perfect fit. It was a close fit but could use some adjustments.

What I do remember when I got her was I was very excited over the overall great condition and was really looking forward to polishing the hull as she was the CLEANEST hull I've bought yet! I also really wanted to sail her as I've never sailed a C20.

Unfortunately for me I sold her before getting to do much of anything. Was not planned that way, it just happened.

Good luck John,
I hope you get her and would love to take the boats out together one day!
Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

C- 20 was my first sailboat, an the most fun to sail. You may get wet when the spray comes over the bow. An the water shouts up from the hole in the floor, where the cable for the keel is. That happens mostly when sailing in 4 to 5 foot waves. I have never sailed a C-22, but I would bet it is faster an a lot more fun. My C-20 came with a 5 hp 4 stroke, extra long shaft, vary good mane & jib sails an a vary large jib sail that came all the way back to the stern. Like a Cat boat. My C-26 has the same jib sail. I am sad to say that I have not sailed my C-20 in years. Mother now 93, likes the C-26 no spry not as much fun more like house on the water.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Capt Scott:

Thanks. Sounds encouraging - especially the motor part. I'll rebuild the trailer since that is usually the first thing I always do, including another tongue extension mod. This trailer has none. There will be money left over from the sale of my Bauer 12 to accomplish at least that.

Chrysler26%20%18%34%, etc, etc...

Surely, you are detached from your senses, man. :wink:
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

If you plan on reworking the trailer, why not go with the E Z Loader Trailer typ. With the self-adjusting roller system. You would not need a tongue extension. Do not forget the 2500 ponds, you will need a bigger car.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Actually what I mean by rebuilding the trailer is just rebuilding the hubs, adding Bearing Buddies, doing the extension and new lights. I'm sure the trailer frame is fine, being galvinized. It has rollers.

In my experience, bunks are easier on the hull than rollers because they spread the resting load much better. Not too important if you moor, but my boats live on their trailers. But, it'll do for now.

My current tow rig is a 96 Jeep Cherokee - the little square one, not the Grand. I towed the C-22 home from over the mountains with it and I used it to get it to and from the ramp - about 7 miles one way from here. It has more than adequate HP, but it lacks stopping powwer. So I just don't tailgate. The boat plus the trailer weighed 4000lbs, so the C-20 will be substantially less at about 3200lbs.

Eventually, I'll hook up my 2010 Ford Ranger 4cyl, 2WD and see how that feels - even though I know it is not rated much over 2800lbs capacity. Still, it is superior to the Jeep structurally due to having a full frame, unlike the unibody Jeep. The braking will be about the same because both vehicles have 15 inch wheels with similar sized hubs and rotors.

The big differenc will be at the ramp, pulling the boat out. The Jeep has the 4WD with the Low Range. I just let it crawl up the ramp like a landing craft. The High Output Six has tons of torque. The Ranger might spin some at low tide with any kind of scum on the ground. The rear end is geared high for fuel mileage, not for crawling. Still, the little 2.3L might be fine, not having the power to overdrive the traction wheels. We'll see...

I don't like the part where the water shoots up through the hole...
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Looks like you are all set, hope you get the C-20 you well love sailing it. Water only shoots up through the hole in vary ruff waver, an sailing fast. You will love it. When I comes time to raise the mast you will find that the center point is 1 foot or so past the stern. My C-20 has a latter in the center of the stern, 1/2 inch pipe fits in to the end of the latter. So when the latter is up an a roller added to the ladder. Having it lean out past the stern. You can role the mast to the step, I added a block to the mast at the spreader point an made a A-frame I use a winch tied to the base of the mast it has a 1/2 inch line on it that I run up to the block to the top of the A- frame. You could leave the A-frame in place for day sailing.
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Thanks for the tip.

I'm fairly sure that a simple block shackled to the stemhead fitting will be enough to raise the mast, using the jib halyard. if it's not long ebough to reach the cockpit, I can always tie on an extension line with a sheetbend. The mast step is located much lower than the cabin top so there is a mechanical advantage right from the beginning of the lift due to the mast being angled up while resting on the aft rail.

That's my theory and I'm sticking with it - at least for the day... stay tuned. I will post pics if it all goes south and I lay the mast across my neighbor's new car.