radar

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
cjreardon

radar

Post by cjreardon »

I am considering a Raymarine scanner for a sailboat, does anyone have any opinion on mast mount or post mount on the transom? Is there much difference in a 18" and a 24 "?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

That really depends on your use.

Radar is basically line of sight. The higher you mount the transmitter the better the range you will get.

We sail Puget Sound, Straights of Juan Defuca, and Georgia Straights.
Since our desire is to see any ship or boat within 3 - miles of us it is not necessary to mount our radar up the mast. We are more interested in boats close to us in heavy fog so the lower mount works great. For the few times we cross shipping lanes we turn up the range but that is a very limited when in fog.

Also consider getting it high enough so you are not transmitting through your crew!

:)

Hope this helps!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

There is less chance of snag and chafe at transom post mount than on the mast and it also keeps weight lower down for better righting moment. At least that is what I have recently read.
Bill
cjreardon

Post by cjreardon »

I can see where a mast height has a better line of sight, but I want to put it on a C-26 that will be a trailer sailor. I have been on charter fishing boats where they mostly us the radar to monitor weather popping up on lake Michigan. I think a high power (4 watt) 24 inch would be better, but chaffing the luft or hanging up on the unit with a genoa in the middle of a tack could be annoying too. I am also concerned about stepping the mast with the unit on it.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like you've answered your own question.
FYI you can see here on Destiny we have an arch that supports our radar. Works perfect for us.

Top down view because we were putting her back in the water. IT is the only close up I have at work of the radar setup.
Scott