Buying a C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Tydeman

Buying a C-22

Post by Tydeman »

This is a great forum and am looking forward to my first purchase of a Chrysler 22 but...the boat I am looking at is a 78 with original sails and original Sailor 150 outboard. Hull,deck and hardware are in great shape but biggest concern by far is the rusted keel (owner claims it's made of lead), the age of the sails and motor. I will inspect the sails and have owner run the motor but would love some advise on the keel inspection. Thanks for your help
DVD

Rusty Keel

Post by DVD »

Not a problem. My Keel though a fresh water boat was extremely rusty. Solutions: WIRE brush - GET A GOOD one with nice handle. Buy a few breathing masks and goggles and have at it. A LOT of junk will come off. After that I applied a "stop rust" spray can primer. One can should be enough for a few coats. Finally, apply a good bottom paint and always a few extra coats on the leading edge. You are ready to go. :) DVD
DVD
"Da Boat" '76 Chrysler 22
Tydeman

Buying a C22

Post by Tydeman »

Thanks very much for your input. Is there a way to inspect the pin housing from the cabin? Thanks
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

Welcometo the chrylser sailboat family......its like joining the mob..haha. my sails are orginal to my c22 and work fine.....while not as efficient as new sails they work just fine. I crawled under my boat and looked at the brackets.... I could see my pin was nice and new looking. I was also able to run my fingures along the keel brackets to help assess thecondition of the brackets.
get n lost
Tydeman

Buying a c22

Post by Tydeman »

Ok thanks. That's good news