22 Swing Keel Lowering

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

22 Swing Keel Lowering

Post by DVD »

I must be missing the trick to lower the keel. I know it has some type of self ratcheting up. I recently launched and it doesn't seem to want to lower down. Thanks!
DVD
"Da Boat" '76 Chrysler 22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

If you have the original crank, than all you do is simply crank it backwards or opposite of raising it!

There were no release, or latches like what is on a boat trailer tongue!

Pretty nifty setup!

Scott
DVD

Hmm

Post by DVD »

Well that is what I expected to be able to do but, I can move towards up ( a little as it was just on a trailer) but not down. I expected the down to be simple based on Keel weight. Rubber Mallet time? :/
DVD
Smier

Post by Smier »

I've been wondering the same thing, mine doesn't appear to have a release mechanism but does seem to "ratchet" on my Starwind.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

(assuming its a brake winch like my C26). I had trouble lowering the keel on Aislin Girl and traced it to the friction disc on the brake winch being gummed up. Since there is no braking action bringing the keel up its not an issue, but down was really an issue. Also when the winch gets disassembled and the friction disc spacing gets off it can brake more than it releases...

There's some good diagrams and instructions on the documents page under our main page..
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Any word back from DVD on this? On my 22, I have to insert a flat screwdriver to push the pawl out of the way, then back crank the keel down at the same time. I should fix it, but I've gotten used to it.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

OutnBacker wrote:Any word back from DVD on this? On my 22, I have to insert a flat screwdriver to push the pawl out of the way, then back crank the keel down at the same time. I should fix it, but I've gotten used to it.
Kinda like this ?
http://www.etrailer.com/question-56005.html
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Thanks EE. That pretty much sums it up. I'll have to wait til I get the boat in the water soon, and do it then.

John
DVD

Thank you guys

Post by DVD »

Well with the tip on using the flat head screw driver on the pahl and the mechanical skills of my partner on "Da Boat" we were able to solve the problem! The keel raises and lowers perfect. We took "Da Boat" out on Tampa Bay. Winds W 5-10 kts, sailed like a dream. Only touch needed to complete a near perfect C22 is a toping lift - currently operating under a bungie cord design. Thanks again to the group. DVD
DVD
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ta Dah ! :lol:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Congratulations!
Hey a topping lift is well worth the effort!
I put one on Lady Jo and love it!

Scott