Manual tranys and big boats?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
boaty

Manual tranys and big boats?

Post by boaty »

Hi everyone,
The second boat I had when I was young was a 12' Sea Flight by Star Craft. I pulled it all over Michigan with my AMC Eagle. The car had a four speed manual trany,
I don't remember having any trouble at launches then, but now I have a C26. My current truck has a auto trany and is a snap at the launch, but it's an 1989 half ton with a 305cu. in. engine and is under a considerable load when on the road.
I have recently found a one ton truck for sale for a good price, but it has a manual trany. I just wonder now, if big trucks and big boats are a big pain when you throw in a manual transmission and a launch ramp? :?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I always was a big fan of Manuals, but that is probably because I was driving a Fiat 850 Spider, then an MGB, then an Rx7, then a Renault Alliance, then another Rx7.. 8)

Only two thoughts that come to mind for me is on the ramp you don't have "park" like in an auto, so you have to be extra careful not to have truck roll back when you leave it.

And the obvious one, how skilled one is with a clutch release getting underway uphill under load. I'd hate to bun one up, and even worse I'd hate to stall and have to restart !
Guster

Post by Guster »

EmergencyExit wrote:I always was a big fan of Manuals, but that is probably because I was driving a Fiat 850 Spider, then an MGB, then an Rx7, then a Renault Alliance, then another Rx7.. 8)

Only two thoughts that come to mind for me is on the ramp you don't have "park" like in an auto, so you have to be extra careful not to have truck roll back when you leave it.

And the obvious one, how skilled one is with a clutch release getting underway uphill under load. I'd hate to bun one up, and even worse I'd hate to stall and have to restart !
EE, Renault Alliance? What was going on at that time of your life? I'm glad you came to your senses and went back to the Rx7.

I agree. I prefer manuals with the exception of towing. The ramp I normally launch my 22 from is steep. Very doable with a manual, but much easier with the auto.
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, who could resist a clunky ole ragtop that was only $400 ! Not me !! 8) Come to think of it that was an automatic tho..
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The Renault Alliance was named "Car of the Year" by Motortrend magazine when it came out and I am happy that I was working at the AMC plant here in Kenosha , Wis keeping the robots programmed properly to weld those cars together. So there you go snobs!!!
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bill, I can't remember what model year it was, but I had it in about 1997, and it was a really fun car. Neighbor/buddy sold it to me real cheap because it was high miles, and needed some work like the hydraulics for the power top, paint was getting old from being in sun too much, and it needed a brake job.

We had a blast with it one summer ! So, thanks for the good work you put in!
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

My grandfather worked his whole life at Nash/AMC, my father worked his whole life at AMC, and I planned to work my whole "career" at AMC. They always had to struggle to compete with the "Big 3". I enjoyed working there
but it was a dangerous place...not good for your health, fumes,dust,heat,chemicals,machinery. I was lucky in that I had a trade as electrician.
When Renault bought in I got worried. Next came Chrysler and I got real worried, so after 16 years there I moved into "Big Spam!!!!!!!!" and stayed in that for 23 years...now retired and I don't miss any of it.
Bill