Bottom Paint Stripped / Blisters?

Post All Paint, Fiberglass, Or Maintenance Topics Here.
dfisher

Bottom Paint Stripped / Blisters?

Post by dfisher »

Wanted to let everyone know my success in stripping the bottom paint from my C-22 this weekend. I found the recipe from another boater when I was buying my boat. It was a mixture of sodium hydroxide (drain cleaner from lowes $12.00), a bag of lime ($4.00 from lowes), and water. I mixed it up to the consistency of pancake batter and rolled it on the bottom paint with a standard paint roller. I let it sit overnight and pressure washed it off the next day. All in all I would say it took about 90% of the paint off down to the bare gel coat. It took about an hour to mix and roll on and about an hour to pressure wash off. For the two hours and $16.00 it took, I would say it was much better than sanding for a weekend. The mixture is rather nasty so make sure you wear long sleeves, chemical gloves, and goggles if you try it. Here are the before and after pictures:

Now for my question. I have discover several areas of small holes about the size of a nail head (see picture below). I have read about blisters but they all seem to be much larger.

Are these blisters on a smaller scale? Should I just fill them with epoxy and then do a barrier coat followed by bottom paint? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks agian
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

In the "blister" picture there looks like there are some bumps or bubbles to the right of the holes that you are showing...check them out and see if they are hollow also.
Check out Don Casey and This Old Boat for advice on all fiberglass repairs.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Blisters can be small as well. Like Astrorad says see if any of them, even the tiny ones will "pop" - protect eyes, the liquid that may pop out can really sting them.

EE has always had a few small ones like that on the bow, but they are solid and never get any worse.

Big difference in worries too depending on whether you will trailer sail or keep her wet all the time..