Ref#: 98, Part#: 25290 Retractible Keel (1976 C-22)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
WiteTigr

Ref#: 98, Part#: 25290 Retractible Keel (1976 C-22)

Post by WiteTigr »

Where would I even begin to look to find this part? Do they still make them for it or would it be to expensive to replace?

She is dirty but still in "decent" shape, saved her from the scrap house, it was going to become a tree house for some grand children but it still has so much potential still. I hope!!! :lol:

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Adam Smith
S/V: Shemac
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Ok, what part is it and what does it do?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

No parts have really been made for these boats since about 1980, although some parts are available aftermarket like tillers, rudders, etc..

From the C22 manual parts list, looks like you are asking about the keel itself ?
That might be hard to find except on another boat.

If asking about the keel brackets or pin some C22 owners have had them made at machine shops
windnutlarry

C22 swing keel

Post by windnutlarry »

You may want to think long and hard about this project. This is a 800lb cast iron keel, plus fabricating new pivot brackets, then dealing with the winch and pendant assembly. If the keel is gone because the brackets failed, the winch and bridge deck are likely damaged also. TLC-starved C22's are usually available for $1000-1500, and yours could be used as a parts boat if needed to refurbish one of those. I just made one boat out of two last summer, and it was a LOT of work, even with all the major components there. (One had no title, and the other was damaged in a tornado.)
WiteTigr

Ya, Im starting to wonder...

Post by WiteTigr »

Yes it is the keel itself 825lbs of cast iron it sounds like.

I am starting to think you may be correct in that suggestion, the previous owner said the keel just "fell off" to the bottom of the marina... and that is kinda what looks like could have happened... the keel winch and line is undamaged that I can see but the brackets I am not sure how they look at this point.

Sorry for the late reply I work 3rd shift so am asleep most of the days.

thanks.