OEM stern cleat repair ?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NYCSAILOR

OEM stern cleat repair ?

Post by NYCSAILOR »

My starboard stern cleat has pulled up on one side...

no fiberglass breaks or cracks... I would like to repair this.. I can sorta get access up in there from the gas locker ...

it seems there was a wodden plywood block that was used as a backing plate or such that has kinda seperated and fallen appart and put some slack inthe bolts fitting.. I can't see up in there and do not want ot cut an access hole or move t he cleat...

before I get crazy and start struggling ...anyone deal with this issue before have any ideas on repair... I am thinking of molly bolt fastners.. someother kind of blind fastner but there is very little space for a proper backing plate ( although the glass seems strong up in there) I do want soomething strong of course.. and I do likethe location of that cleat for all kinds of reasons...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I have the outboard mount off EE for repairs, so I took a look in there thru the opening - not sure if there is a wood plate 'glassed in there or if its just pure glass, but was sure surprised to find how small the washers were...especially backing up the backstay mounts..

This is looking up at the underside of the starboard side transom top, 4 nuts are the cleat, 2 nuts are the backstay mounts..

NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

THANKS!!!

You always come through...

My outboard mount is fully glassed in so I don't have that access... so your pic shows me everything that I could only discover by "feel"

It is really something how the factory did things... how much would a larger washer or backing plate might have cost ?? OR .. did they think the glass was so thick and strong Or they DID glass in reinforcement in these area I don't know...but working up in there to fashio a reapir w/o a new access hole being cut will be very frustrating...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Glad to assist - I honestly learn more about EE everytime somebody asks a question and I go looking.

Guessing you're gonna need a mirror to see up in there since there's no outboard mount.

Those stern cleats must be tough, EE still has her's after Katrina, and there was a piece of broken 5/8" braided line attached to one of them. A cleat someone added later got ripped out.

I will however be adding a backing plate to those backstay mounts !

Also thinking about leaving the OEM mount off, glassing over that hole, and going to a Garelick mount so I can upgrade the motor later.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I am not sure how I'll fashion and install a proper backing plate in that tight cleat area... now I got to do the backstay as well with the knew knowledge... I ampretty sure they glassed in a backer wood plywood strip under the cleat area..they are pretty strong... until they are not !

My OB mount is glassed in and a garlick added... makes for drier boat in following seas.. I have a solid transom with a Suzuki DF9.9 .. big and heavy but love the four stroke..
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

finally got todealwith this... i used a trex deck sample block from Home Depot... dilledthe holesin it tomatch the cleatandmade the block justabitoversizeandinowhaveakillerbackingplateforthatcleat....imight havejustdone 1/8th aluminnum strip aswellbutthosecleatneedtobevery strong....imight justleavemy prtcleat alone..itisstillsolid afterallthese yearswith justtiny washersforbacking plates the nuts are 11mm locknuts
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Ok, I made my backing plate ,,,, then I went on line at I sailor and there were 12pages on backing plates. ... Y
These guys take this stuff seriously,,, I have no idea how they have time to do anything else but work on their boats"..... Anyway, I went with fender washers. I had to trim the inboard ones a bit. And left a lot of skin and blood up there. My hands looked like I was in a knife fight.... In many ways these boats were built pretty cheaply..made...but I guess I am never going to lift the boat by the cleats". So I'll just move on ....but I t would be great to have templates for all the backing. Plates ,,,,,stanchions, cleats, etc. up here Asa a resource, so the can be made up on a cnc or water jet machine....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

NYCSAILOR wrote:Ok, In many ways these boats were built pretty cheaply..made......
I think the honest truth is that we sail the equivalent to the 1975-1979 Chrysler Cordoba. Production line produced for value and nobody ever thought they'd be in service long enough to ever need the sort of repairs and upgrades we have to do in 2014 !

Did a quick Ebay search just now - there are two Chrysler Cordoba's listed right now, and two Chrysler boats, lol..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, my parents had a Cordoba back in the day. Chocolate brown in and out.

I've looked all over my Chrysler boats and have yet to find the "Rich Corinthian Leather"!!! LOL!

Scott
( sorry I'm kind of a car guy too . . .)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:I've looked all over my Chrysler boats and have yet to find the "Rich Corinthian Leather"!!!
Yeah, but they are molded in 'rich Atlantean GelCoat' ...Funny side story is that phrase Corinthian Leather was completely made up by the ad agency - most of the leather came from a firm in New Jersey
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

now chrysler is ownedby fiat...does that make our boats itialian????
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Not really however you are now required to carry spaghetti and wine! aboard! :lol:

Scott
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Very funny....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

My first car ' out of high school' was a 72 FIAT 850 Spider convertible. I tell my children that car is the only reason they exist; their Mom paid me zero attention in high school. Then I drove it to a party where she was..After that, much more so... :wink: