Need Some Help From The Smart Guys

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
billsfan60

Need Some Help From The Smart Guys

Post by billsfan60 »

The 9.9 hp chrysler on my C22 has a bad starter and I'm having two problems.

First - sticker shock when I realized the ones I see cost more than one for my 560SL Mercedes Benz Roadster.

Second - I can't find a source for the correct one for my motor even though I have the part number off the dead Bosch starter that was on the boat.

Would appreciate Y'all pointing me in the right direction.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Call Franz at Franz Marine, he's THE smart guy , I don't know of anyone more Chrysler OB savvy. Keeps my Sailor 280 and me going

http://franzmarine.com/

(816) 966-8085
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

You might also check with a local auto electric place, I imagine it could be rebuilt or repaired.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Surely there must be a reasonably priced 6hp longshaft around on C-List. Individual parts will kill you when it comes with the word BOAT on it. Just get a different motor. A 6hp is more than adequate for a C-22. Even a 4hp Evinrude/Johnson will push you along at 4mph in favorable conditions.

I've taken my own advice on this a few times over the years and it has always worked out.
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

Thought about going to a different motor but the dang one I have is in such good condition (minus the stupid starter of course) that it kills me to junk it. Previous owner didn't even need it to get away from the dock. I think he only started just to make sure it still ran OK. It may come to that but as someone who has always loved his "iron jib", I think I'll try to fix the blessed thing if I can just find the part.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

You could check out,
http://twincityoutboard.com
They have helped me out with some old fishing outboards I have.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

Thanks a lot fellas. Both numbers y'all gave me have the starter. Hope I can return the favor. Looks like we won't miss too much of this great Fall weather.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Good deal !