Outboard motor mounts on a C22 with a 4stroke motor

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Outboard motor mounts on a C22 with a 4stroke motor

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey all,
I need to replace my outboard motor mount on Lady Jo. As John likes to reflect . . .mine's older than the hills!

Thought I'd check the collective brain trust and see what works! My motor is the Tohatso 9.8 4 stroke. I have options in my mind but am open to ideas.

My current mount simply slides up and down with no mechanical assist which means I can not freaking move the motor when aboard. It sits to close so tilting the motor up out of the water is not an option. Last week the wood finally cracked all the way through so I will be actively replacing in the next week or so.

2 goals:

1: Good solid mount. No junk.
2: Ability to lift my LONG shaft completely out of the water.

Practical experience and ideas anyone?

Thanks!
Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I have that type of mount on my McGregor 25, no mechanical assist. I put a block and tackle on it works good for 9.9 two-stroke. But a for stroke is going to be nearly twice as heavy. Good luck in finding a mount that will work with a fore stroke. Please keep us posted
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Scott, I had an oversized Garelick on the Cal 21 - it was made for much heavier motor then my Tohatsu 5 25" but was on the closeout rack at a great price. Vertical lift was 11".
Barely got it out of water, but the Cal is shallow transomed, and I honestly mounted it too low;

I had to remove one of the two lift springs because the motor wasn't heavy enough to be easy to push down, but it worked great. Your four stroke may not have that problem..

Pics of it in down position are at
http://sailingtexas.com/201201/scal21105.html

Some under way at:
http://www.pycl.org/pycv3/Albums/2011fa ... allery.php
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Good input.
I've been looking at the Garelick 71091.
Found it for 318 at DiscountMarineSupplies.com

Seems available for under 350 fairly easily if you shop around.

Thanks!
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Oh, funny thing on these pics at
http://www.pycl.org/pycv3/Albums/2011fa ... allery.php

In the last 2 of the Cal coming by the pier..notice the boom has crossed in about 20 feet of pier..nothing like an unexpected wind shift and unplanned gybe 2 feet from the pilings..was NOT expecting that which is why I'm diving for the sheets over there :oops:
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Capt. Scott,
Since you live within 30 minutes of me, and you are considering a two week window, I might suggest you bring your motor over here and mount it to my Garelick. You said that yours is a two cylinder so the head might be a bit larger than my 6hp.

I find there is interference when I want to tilt the motor out of the water when under way, so I need to turn the motor sideways to clear the top edge of the transom.

I'm sure the installer did not have the Sail-Pro at that time, and mounted the Garelick low for a standard long shaft. If I were to re-install the mount, I'd move it up some. If you hang your motor on mine as a mockup, you'd be dead-on for depth and have no issues with tilting obstruction. Also, you would find out if there is enough spring assist to lift your twin. It lifts my 6hp with no problem at all.

I'll likely be home saturday, but am scheduled to crew on sunday, unless rain cancels.

John
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome suggestion!
I just might do that! Sunday I too am busy. Off to the "Oyster Run" in Anacortes. Hope the weather holds out! With all these sudden extremely heavy rainfalls I don't want to get caught in one of them! LOL!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Just post here if you have the inclination to carry through. In the meantime, I'll call the number I have that I believe to be your cell #. No need for a message, but you'll have my cell #.

John
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Have Garelick on mine : )
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome tips on the Garelick and glad it is a popular choice.

After searching the internet and finding very scary prices I was able to work with a local vender who had the 9" model for 4 strokes in stock. Since I wanted the 15" I asked if he'd match internet prices and pulled 3 different pages with the 15" lift 4 stroke version between 318 and 340 bucks. Given the list price, online recomendations, this forum and actually seeing one in person I decided instead of over thinking it to just order it.
Local vender was more flexible on price because I had cash so he ordered it.

I will pick it up today.

Next step is to get the thing mounted! Might have to bug john to see his set up and maybe avoid mistakes.

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I think you won't regret the buy. It's a solid mount. I'll be around the place most of saturday. My shipmates cancelled sunday due to weather, so I'll be here then as well - but I know you are committed elsewhere.

You can even bring Lady Jo and we can delve into my bottomless tool collection and get the thing done. Back 'er into the shop and work in the dry.

John
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey John
I've searched my phone and called several wrong johns!
Doh!

If you can pm me with your # I'd like to call you about tomorrow!

Thanks!
Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

PM on the way...
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Scott, I just sent you an e-mail. I'm not sure the PM went anywhere...

John
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well, All I can say is THANKS JOHN!
Saturday I rolled up to Johns house with Lady Jo in tow!

John was outside waiting for me and guided me back to his garage!
We immediately started to work replacing the motor mount on Lady Jo with a new Garelick 4 stroke bracket. First things first, take the motor off. Doh Some idiot brought every Lady Jo key known to man . . .. .except the one key to remove the motor! After some fiddling we popped the pin on the motor handle that tightens it down and finally got the motor off.

Soon there after we had the old bracket off! Some cleaning, measuring and marking and we were ready to drill holes. We got the new bracket mounted with some of the bolts I had but unfortunately the glass was not consistent in thickness so most of my bolts I bought were a washer thickness to short. Johns hardware section in his garage had a better selection that Lowes and he was able to fashion bolts to suit our needs!

After several hours work Lady Jo sports a new motor mount for her 9.8 Hp 4 stroke!

No way I could have done that work alone! THANK YOU VERY MUCH JOHN for all the help you so graciously offered!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

..and the result is that you have the biggest, beefy'est outboard bracket I have ever seen on a 22ft sailboat. That thing'll outrun a Mac 26 :D

Sorry. I just had to get that in. :twisted:
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

...Hope you took pictures?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

The process was not conducive to taking pics. Way too ugly.
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dennyzen »

Was there any old backing in there? If so what? Did your new holes go into it or did you make a new backing plate? Or none of the above?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Capt. Scott will likely be along shortly, but I can say that the thickness of the hull varied a bit. We ran into some old plywood in there but missed most of it. The transom actually has a wood core - probably balsa, so not much in the way of real solid strength. But then, it is not required in a sailboat transom - unlike a powerboat.

We used 1-1/4" bolts but as Capt said above, the varied thickness required another 1/4" or so to get a good purchase on the threads for some of them. I had some extra long bolts in the shop and just cut them to length.

With no real thickness, the hull does flex with the relatively heavy 4-stroke 9.8hp Tohatsu we installed, but it is of no consequence as long as Capt Scott secures the motor with a strap to stabilize the road vibrations. The flex will probably not be noticeable in the water.

Most 22ft sailboats can get by with a much lighter and smaller hp rating, so this one is a bit on the max side, but will give a good measure of security against some of the strong currents up in the San Juans, as well as safety in close maneuver. It's really a nice setup. All controls from the cockpit.

I have a Tohatsu 4-stroke Sail Pro 6hp on my C-22, which is a single cylinder, and is much lighter than the twin 9.8. It seems pretty solid and there is no discernable flex.

As far as the need for a backing timber or plate: There is a huge difference between the forces generated by a sailboat and that of a powerboat. I don't think a typical sailboat outboard can possibly overstress a C-22 transom.

John