Don't pay the ransom!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't pay the ransom!!

Post by Andiron120 »

Good evening everyone, don't pay the ransom, Andiron120 has escaped. I have been off list for a couple of years now due to circumstances beyond my control. Catch 22, has been land locked all this time and has multiple problems which must be addressed before she can again resume the fight to maintain my sanity. The keel pin brackets have been reduced by time and corrosion to balls of rust. I cannot be sure that all the water she was taking on is from this particular problem but replacement is not optional. I have the keel down and the brackets out. I am sure the process that I used would probably cause OSHA to have multiple running coronaries but out it is. Anyone on list have a good source or is it still a job for the best local shop I can find? I also have a rudder problem which will have to be taken care of. The original mushroom shaped bushing was long since gone when I got her. The existing setup was a plastic 2" through hull which has been reamed to allow the rudder shaft to spin freely. My intention is to replace that setup with a stainless through hull also reamed to allow free travel. Any thoughts or input is always welcome and I will try to post anything interesting that I happen to run into. I am very happy to be back and look forward to hearing from everyone, especially those that have been here since time began. Glad to see you are still here Capt. Scott, and Alan, hope all is well in the great NW. :D
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Wow, there's a blast from the past! Welcome back!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

hi Andiron...the keel brackets have to be fabricated unless there is still someone on the forum who has a set for sale. Here is my solution to the rudder bearings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8i_MKp1CpY
The drawing is in the documents page...hope this helps.
Bill
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Don't pay the ransom!!

Post by C22Bob »

... I also have a rudder problem which will have to be taken care of. ...... Any thoughts or input is always welcome and I will try to post anything interesting that I happen to run into

hi Andiron
Several months ago I posted in the Rudders section of this forum how I redesigned mine. Subject - Rudder Upgrade. It may be more then you want to tackle, but might give you some ideas.....
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rudder

Post by Andiron120 »

Wow Bubbles, now that is a cure, mine isn't quite to the point I have to go that far yet but it really looks like it would be bullet proof.

Astrorad, that is basically the exact thing I plan to do but using an off the shelf 2" stainless through hull. I really like your idea of extending the upper fitting, it really is a bear trying to get a hand up in that tight little space.

Thanks for the input :D
Last edited by Andiron120 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ransom

Post by Andiron120 »

Thanks Mcrandall, its nice to be remembered after so much time. Hope all is going well with you.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Always got a kick out of your quote about ice, being from the great white North and all!
    Mark
    http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
    1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
    Andiron120
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Ice

Post by Andiron120 »

Yes, as we once again expect to hit a temperature in he the neighborhood of 105, I am giving serious consideration to changing my ideas about the proper size of ice cubes :roll:
    EmergencyExit
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Re: Ice

Post by EmergencyExit »

Andiron120 wrote:Yes, as we once again expect to hit a temperature in he the neighborhood of 105, I am giving serious consideration to changing my ideas about the proper size of ice cubes :roll:
    Walked outside to mow yard yesterday at 1130am, it said 95 on my back porch (in the shade) thermometer. Went right back inside and sat down with an iced beverage..got hot just thinking about the temp!
    adamh

Post by adamh »

9 months out of the year, I have to envy you southerners. Right now 80 degrees feels pretty darn comfortable. :lol:
    Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
    EmergencyExit
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

adamh wrote:9 months out of the year, I have to envy you southerners. Right now 80 degrees feels pretty darn comfortable. :lol:
    Yeah, the older I get the less extreme temp tolerant I am..starting the see wisdom of bird migration!
    CaptainScott
    Site Admin
    Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome back!
    Glad to hear you are still out there!!

Scott