OMG WHATA WEEKEND!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

OMG WHATA WEEKEND!

Post by CaptainScott »

Most of you know I have Destiny, a none Chrysler sailboat. She's a 40' Beneteau.

This weekend we organized a get together for the Cascadian Sailors Association. This is a group we've belonged to for a long time. Very fun loose group that is a riot to be with.

We left Port of Everett Friday morning 7:00 AM sharp. NOAA stated 30 kts steady gusts to 40 4-6 foot seas. Small craft advisory. No worries. Been there done that. While the waves aren't huge they are short and steep but hey, we're running with the wind the whole way!

I had the furling jib out maybe a 1/4 of the way. Furling main was out more like a storm trysail. Barley to the top of the first spreaders.

Destiny was smoking hot! Just over 9kts SOG motor sailing. Very broad reach or running if you prefer but not wing on wing. Feeling good, I grabbed my phone and emailed EE what a blast we were having!

Then things changed. I thought we were riding the front expected to blow through. Weather man hit it exactly! Blowing 30 gusting to 40! He was wrong. So was I.

An extremely powerful gust hit us! unsnapped all the snaps in the aft half of our enclosure! We rounded up with such a tiny bit of sail out and got laid over!
As Destiny recovered Diane says look at the jib! It was blown out. Shredded. I immediately furled what I could but you can only do so much.

At this point, we had to decide. The nearest shelter was a perfect beam run about two miles away. Sadly the wind was blowing so hard each wave practically laid us over so I opted to just run with the weather. We had a patch of main out and the remnants of my jib flying straight ahead of Destiny.

The battle was on. Trying to keep Destiny's stern to weather for a couple of hours. Watching the anemometer Gust hit 62 knts 3 times as we ran.

Finally some relief, as we rounded Camano Island things calmed! YEs! Head into the wind and huge, did I say huge? I meant FREAKIN HUGE waves and furl the main. Got our 4X6' flag down to as it was tearing itself up and bending its mount!

Once the main was furled and flag down, we turned again and rain with the weather. I looked at the anemometer and OMG! It's blowing 30 kts! I looked at my bride ( who still talks to me ) and said, your not going to believe this, how calm it is? It's still blowing 30kts! My what perspective can bring!

Eventually we entered Swinomish Slough (sp?) This is an extremely narrow channel reasonably protected, several miles long and runs right through LacConner, a small tourist town. Whew! Relief from the waves! Still large white caps but hey, they are nothing now! Yeah, white caps in the slough!

While motoring with 30 kts on our stern through LacConner, white patches of our jib were breaking free and flying ahead of us. I can only image what the folks thought as our rag tag sailboat slowly lost parts of the jib as we motored by!

At the far end of town there is guest moorage. We were able to come about and tie off. There I messed with the shredded jib until I was finally able to unfurl it completely and drop it on the deck of Destiny.

After gathering the jib up we untied and headed off to the 1.5 hours of our trip left to cover. Still in the slough, with no main, no flapping jib parts and limited waves, it felt like a picnic. 30 knts pushing us along we made record time and eventually arrived in Anacortes.

The marine had still 30 kts blowing straight down the slips. We were able to get Destiny Stern into the wind and back into a slip letting the bow weather vein straight back. We got tied off, AC power on, and started picking up all the stuff down below when one of our buddies arrived laughing and said, Nice sail? poking at the jib in the cockpit!

As we settled, more friends arrived and the party was on! We had a great weekend with three boats actually arriving! We usually have many more.

This morning NOAA promised 40 kts of wind gusting to 50. Hmm, even worse than Friday prediction. All three boats decided to stay in Anacortes. Our daughter came and got us in the car. We gave True Blue's crew a lift and came home. "Slow Flight" opted to stay aboard and watch all three boats since we are expecting even more wind storms!

This is the first time I've ever left a boat because of weather! I'm glad I did!
Next weekend we'll recover our beloved baby!

Scott
PS: I'm going to sleep good tonight!
Last edited by CaptainScott on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

And (after I got the email about the jib) for the first time ever I was glad I was sitting at my work desk while I knew you were out sailing ! 8)

Glad you made it into port ok..great story too
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Capt. Scott, you are living the dream. To have a sail like that at the end of winter. Just you and your wife on the high seas in a storm, I wonder how cold it was. Too bad that you lost your jib, I hope it was old an needed a upgrade. Thank you for posting, and I hope you return trip is nicer.
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

WOW fantastic story! Glad everyone is okay. Got my blood pumping reading it. First sail story of 2013! TY
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

We had been considering getting new sails for Destiny. The loss of the jib is bad timing for us financially but we will manage! No real sailing on Destiny though. All the racers are for sure getting their orders in.

The temps were in the upper 30's when we left but rapidly warmed to mid to upper 40's until the cold front blew in and dropped it back down.

My hadns were pretty dang cold trying to get the jib down.I'm glad I waited until we docked to do that!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/C ... 263789.php This is a sad report of what can happen. You only lost a jip sail an I for one would be happy to make a donation, to help recover your loos. I would like to learn more about the 40'
Last edited by Chrysler20%26 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Nice work Skipper and crew. Glad it ended well. Thanks for sharing!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Chrysler20%26 wrote: I would like to learn more about the 40'
Here is a link to the specs of a 1994 Beneteau Oceanis 400
Destiny Floor plan is the upper floor plan of the two.
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3601

Some perspective: Here is a photo of Destiny next to Lady Jo a 22' Chrysler. We like the lines of the Chrysler as they are very similar to Destiny!

lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Nice work Scott and Diane hope the jib was all that was hurt glad to hear all is ok.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Scott, unexpected wind aside, you go Sailing in 30 to 40 degree temperaturesfor fun?
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nicely done Captain Scott! A safe port was reached in the storm only slightly worse for ware. Most important everyone safe and sound.

I your man if you need help getting her home this weekend.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank you Scott, Hope you get your vary nice "beloved baby" home. May be Lady Jo can give up her jib sail to help. An look for used sails on E-Bay, any jib is better than no jib. When sailing on the Great Lakes in winter you have to be on the look out for ice forming up on the boat.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

retclt wrote:Scott, unexpected wind aside, you go Sailing in 30 to 40 degree temperaturesfor fun?
LOL!
in short, YES!

We have a couple of things going for us, one is if we wait for a nice day around here to go sail, we could be waiting for months! No thanks!

The other is our enclosure on Destiny, the picture above does not show the complete enclosure. We can snap up and stay completely out of wind and rain. ANY hint of sunshine and it is like a green house! Makes for some pretty nice winter sailing!

Hey Alan, Diane has already made plans to go with me! Yes, even after the trip North! We are planing to spend Friday night aboard and come home early Saturday! Watch the weather though!
Thanks for the offer though!

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Great story Scott. Kudos to your first mate too, what a trooper! Mine is strictly a fair weather sailor, and I don't blame her for that. Good luck.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Scott . . . I'd just have to move South. My best friend and fraternity brother from college lives in Kingston about a mile from the ferry. Works for Boeing. He sails a Columbia but I don't hold it against him. At least he sails. One of these day's I'm going to make him take me for a race in the Duck Dodge Regatta you guys have up there.

Is it true you guy's have what's called the Seattle Sun Festival every July 32nd?
Bob T . . .
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

My Crew.

I can not say enough for my crew! Well, my bride is my crew!
She was clearly unhappy and scared during the heaviest wind. She had every right to be. She specifically asked if we could head to the nearest port. Sadly that was not a good option. We'd have taken beam seas that were huge and we still had a the jib flopping. We'd have been on our side a LOT. So, we just kept running and looking behind spits and peninsulas for relief. Nothing was protected well enough and we could not get close enough to the shore and into the wind pocket.

When we arrived at our final destination, I was prepared to simply let her bend my ear a bit. Vent her feelings. Etc. It was not to be. She was complimentary of my boat handling skills and not showing frustrations at me at all! WOW! My heart grew three sizes that day!

I gave her the choice to come home Sunday in the bad winds predicted, or leave Destiny. Not realizing that was not a burden for her. It really was my choice. I recalled my question and simply decided. We were leaving Destiny. The relief was evident in her.

Yeah, I have the best crew in the world!

Hey Bob,
If you come visit your friend and have some time, let us know! We are an hour from Kingson including ferry ride!

About that Sun Festival, I'm pretty sure the dates have not been decided on yet! LOL!
Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Your Crew, you are a lucky man an a good sailer What more could one ask for. Keeping the wind at your back, an just going with it. An Not Running Aground is the way to go. Love reading your post. Hope you have better weather to your home port. An Do Keep Us Posted
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Tomorrow after work, we leave for Anacortes. We'll spend the night aboard. Weather promises to be more hospitible. If so, we'll motor home.
Sadly one of the three boats there left Wednesday. She hit dead head and ended up having to spend several days on the hard exactly where we dropped our jib. She had a bent rudder post. She is a Catalina 27.

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Now sailing on E-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Beneteau ... 33803c2b5e Vary nice boat. Must be hard not to live aboard, have a good trip to home port.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

We made it home!
Destiny is in her home port and slip! YEAH!

Weather was ugly but not bad. Steady 30 kts and heavy rain at times. 45 degrees.

Nice night aboard last night though! Rocking at the dock a little watching videos, and sipping wine with my bride!

Scott
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Yeah for home port, I seen a sign on a boat that read "if ya see the boat a rocken don't come a nocken" Thank you for the post
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:Weather was ugly but not bad. Steady 30 kts and heavy rain at times. 45 degrees.
Scott
Glad all is well. I went down to the coast yesterday and we had same temps and wind here ! No rain tho.

I ran the outboard a bit, puttered around a bit inside, and went home ! Man I was COLD..
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

It was 45, dry and almost calm in Texas then. No way I would have gone sailing. If you guys call that fun you need to have your heads examined!
Bob T . . .