c20 drain for cabin

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
El Pescado

c20 drain for cabin

Post by El Pescado »

Is there any drain on a c20 to remove rain water from the hull?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I moved this one from the general baord discussion page.. C20 guys what say you ?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hello Fish! LOL!

I had a C20 for a while. It had a cockpit drain in the forward end of the cockpit under the little board there near the cable for the keel. However for inside the hull there was nothing that I saw. Any water needed to be pumped out.

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Hola y Bienvenidos Sr. El Pescado!

For the Cabin/keel area, I would tip the boat forward and use a wet vac, hitting the keel area, side stowage area and the anchor bunker. Of course, a bilge pump would have been much easier, but I never got around to getting one :oops:

I finally figured out a mystery though hull plug (PO installed) at the bottom rear of the boat. It drained water leaked into inner hull area beneath the tiller and fuel compartment. Handy at one time I guess, but the last PO redid the through hull hoses and fittings and this area was always bone dry during my ownership. The floatation material area was dry too when I inspected it.

I would get a lot of rainwater mainly though the seal between the deck and the inner keel cable housing, which also serves as the cockpit drain. I discovered it while inspecting the swing cable and pulleys. This was the major culprit of my cabin water AND my weeping keel problem. Water would flow into both areas :shock: 15 minutes and a $4 tube of epoxy putty around the joint solved most of my water leakage issues.
ImageImage

The rest required resetting the side rail fittings in butyl tape (which I told the new owner about) The rainwater thru the rail hardware fittings is exacerbated by a crummy raised edge rail design, which the PO and some other C-20 owners tried to alleviate by drilling a drain hole between the rail and the hull. It, works, somewhat, until it gets plugged (rather quickly I may add)
Image Image

BTW: Here's a video tour of an un-restored '78 C-20 interior... possibly the first, LM(fat)AO

BTW#2, you are welcome to take a look at any pics/vids I've got out there which may be of help, feel free to ask questions too, I'll try my best as will others in this fantastic forum. This was a great boat!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I am bring up an old post, to help a new C-20 owner, member name cs3079 has a lot of info with good photos
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Bob! So nice to see a post referenced from you! I hope you're doing well and still sailing! I think of you and our visit...and of my other 'ol Chryslersailor buds each time I pass through Pinconning on our way to Hubbard Lake. I do so miss my C-20 still, but the '69 Newport Holiday 20 has been a good ol' gal for me, and more portable too : )
I'll share a vid I took a couple weeks ago at Hubbard Lake, MI. First time my li'l sis ever went out in a sailboat and it was marvelous! She had been a severe alcoholic for over twenty years, but has been clean the last five thanks to AA and has had a new lease on life entirely.
I'm always happy to entertain any questions regarding my experiences w my beloved C-20. Best sailing boat of any I've owned.......so far, LOL - Bruce

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJzPQJTB ... A&index=17
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Hi Bruce, nice to hear from you. You have posted a lot of good info on the C-20 with great photos. So I hope thy will help a new C-20 owner. Last year we had low water so I did not get the boat in. This year the water looks to be at a 10 year high, up three feet. Just need to gas up an pre start motor an should be set for sailing. If you can stop by wile passing this way please do. Thank for all your post, some great info. Happy sailing to you an yours Bob
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:I am bring up an old post, to help a new C-20 owner, member name cs3079 has a lot of info with good photos
Thanks. Good to get more info anyway I can. I'm leanig towards launching the 20 this friday and going camping another weekend. I can moor it for the weekend and doodle around for three days that way. Taking friday off. I should be able to get some pics and maybe post a vid on my OutnBacker channel on YouTube. Hopefully, there will be a little wind, which can be fickle on Puget Sound.

The sails are ratty, that's for sure, but they'll do for now. Like I said elswhere: I have to get to love it before I pamper it with new stuff.

John