Hard time with rudder going up

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Rcratbob

Hard time with rudder going up

Post by Rcratbob »

Hi there guys, just brought a C-22 and I am having hard time pulling up the rudder with the rope . Is that normal? I haven been out on the water yet with it. Like my son says you have eat your wheaties to pull it up. Any help with this would helpful.the rudder does go down easy. And yes I am a old man
:D
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard. From the perspective of another old man I have the same experience with the C26 rudder, but it is easier afloat than on dry land..

Having a look at how the lines run show why down is easier I think...

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/imag ... r_down.jpg

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/imag ... r_down.jpg

(Thanks to Windward for those..)
bryan

Post by bryan »

Welcome aboard rcratbob, as EmergencyExit mentions, it is much easier to work the rudder if the boat is in the water and even then it takes a good pull on the rudder line. I find that it takes a good pull at first but then goes easier as it starts to move. Hope this helps.

And the forum members here love pictures of Chrysler sailboats - please post some of your C-22 if you can!

Bryan
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome EE an bryan have given the info, so happy sailing to you.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Rcratbob

Not to second guess the condition of your C22, but if hard to pull rudder ropes are all you need to deal with... you've got a keeper. Not to sound like a wet blanket but projects both big and small go hand in hand with sailing. In fact it's part of the fun... learning new skills and doing things you may at first think are beyond your capabilities (in my case anyway) keep the old blood flowing. In short welcome to the Chrysler forum where an answer can be found for most any sailing/project question.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

It wll be much easier in the water. My C22 had the origonal rudder and it was harder to lower it in the water it wanted to float. I actually had to push it down a bit with a boat hook to get itt started and then it would lower easily. To bring it up a good pull on the line would start it and then my 9 year old could pull it up. Make sure your lines are in decent condition and you will be fine.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree with all that is said! Hard to pull when not in the water.
Even if you loosen the blade bolt a little it is still hard. It does float so once in the water, if you get it coming up it will come easier once moving.

WELCOME to the forum!

Scott