C26 Heel Angle Sweet Spot

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

C26 Heel Angle Sweet Spot

Post by Dallasbob »

Any of you Guy's have any input. What's your angle? After all this time I haven't quite figured it out.

Embarrassed to say . . .
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

I,am glad you broke the ice with this question. Most of the time I forget whether my keel is up or down. Does that make me a bad sailor? At least I can keep my rigging straight thanks to my T-shirt.
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Definitely not being a voice of experience, but it would seem to me with so many factors playing into this matter... the heel angle or sweet spot for one sailboat may very well be quiet different for another. The formula however to find it is most likely the same, but what this formula is I have no clue. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

On my 26 it is 23 degrees with the keel down and if you forget to put it down you will know it real quick in 15 - 20kn wind.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

I would agree that 23 degrees would be a good number. But as mentioned, every boat is different. So many different factors involved. I personally dont feel like I need to heel like a mad man but I do sail with others that feel they are going faster when they do. Witch is of course untrue. The more you heel the more air is dumping off the top of your sails. I would just assume to sheet out than to be holding on for dear life. Esspecally if the weather is unfavorable.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

15-20 and no more is good for me. To be honest I don't like a bunch of heel due to an ear and imbalance problem these days- if a rail gets down too far I feel like I'm falling forward towards the lee rail..

Keel wise I leave it completely up in drift air, down a few cranks in light air, and all the way down after that. Works out to 0-2 turns, 4-6 turns, and 13 turns on EE..

Lecker68 is sure spot on - you forget in a good wind and you'll be reminded, lol..
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Thanks guy's. I've been reading Perry's book on yacht design. When I read about the challenges of designing a hull and the sweet spot of heel angle for best waterline length it got me to wondering. I've been roughly where you guy's are maybe just a tad closer to 30 at times. I can't find documentation anywhere for the C26.

Just curious.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Bob I haven't found any documentation either but that is where my boat is comfortable but like EE I have done my racing and wild rides now it is about comfort.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/