Some weekend fun!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some weekend fun!

Post by CaptainScott »

Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Ya, I could just hear Billybob in his bassboat belching Bud and pointing "Hay lookit that stupid sailboat goin backwords" :lol:

Actually I'll bet you could go quite well if you turn your rudder around 180, that would reduce the stress on the tiller from the prop wash 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Nice work in reverse! I know sailboats normaly dont fair to well in reverse. I was unaware that the 22/26's faired any better. I do know that my newly aquired c27 handles like a pig in reverse. She has a offset mounted 9.9 HP ouboard with a transom mounted rudder. Easy from a maintenance standpoint, but surely lacking in reverse even at full throttle. The only shining star is being able to steer the motor as well as the tiller. Even with her large fixed keel (she draws about 5'), the big old girl can turn on a dime. Therefore I usually opt to whip a U turn off the mooring.

I will have to try doing some distance this weekend in reverse. Sounds like good practice, esspecally because we are looking at light winds in my neck of the woods.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Nice job Scott !

The C26's are pretty well behaved in reverse. But don't get complacent and ease into a light touch on the tiller..if that big rudder gets sideways a bit the tiller will swing quickly and pin you to the cockpit coaming in a heartbeat!
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Excellent and timely advice. I moved up too close to a small island this past
weekend and got into some shallow water. I backed off using my kicker and
was doing just fine when I let go of the reins. The tiller whipped around and banged into me. Fortunately, I was going slow and able to get the tiller swung around again and under control. Lesson learned. As I do each time out.

Jeff
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Nice job Scott, Outboard stuck in reverse so by another outboard. I think I would have fixed the old one first. As for backing up I have to go with EE that one. My C 26 with the roller furring and windwards old sail, catches a lot of wind when rolled up. And my outboard is fixed so it does not turn. Sometimes I have to back up a long ways in order to get that boat to turn.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:Nice job Scott, Outboard stuck in reverse so by another outboard. I think I would have fixed the old one first.
Normally I totally agree with that but the fellow is under a different set of circumstances than most of us.

Either way he now has a very nice clean Catalina 25 in excellent condition and a very reliable motor to use!

Today is a beautiful day and the plan is to go out this evening with him and sail some more! Hopefully we'll have a little better luck this time!

Scott
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Enjoy!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Wednesday evening report:

We met at 6:00 to sail, spent a few moments going over a few things and headed out.After departing the marina we raised the main and sailed for maybe 10 minutes on just that. Then we raised the what appeared to be a 100% jib. The Catalina immediately woke up! She healed over a bit and gained speed very quickly! I tend to like to sail in a giant triangle with new sailors just to show the boat can indead go up, cross, and down wind. We were fortunate enought to have a HUGE "China Shipping" Cargo Ship anchored in Possession Sound! So . . . .we sailed out by that! It is amazing how HUGE these ships are! I am impreseed every time I go near one! We managed a couple of tacks, a jibe, some beating to wind and even a broad reach all in winds steady 10-15 kts. After a few hours we decided to come home where we were treated to a perfect beam reach coming up the river! We peaked at 6kts healing nicely! Great ride! However by now the sun was setting and it was getting chilly. We sailed passed the marina, dropped the jib, headed up and dropped the main. The new owner was able to motor back to the marina, down the fairway and make a perfect bow in docking!

It was a perfect evening for sailing! Mostly clear and almost 70 degress ( which is warm around here lately )!

The new outboard worked like a champ, while rated at the same HP as the old outboard, this one was noticeably more effecent and had better power to push us along. She sits deeper in the water for better control over cavitation yet comes completely out of the water when lifted. Very nice indeed! Zero drag!

Yesterday evening was the perfect evening for a sail. Great breeze, a new owner with a great feel for his boat under sail, and NO motor issues! LOL!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

CaptainScott wrote:Yesterday evening was the perfect evening for a sail. Great breeze, a new owner with a great feel for his boat under sail, and NO motor issues! LOL!
...And you get paid for that :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yup but remember :

it is like making wine . . . .
You toss a ton of money at it so you can make a little money! LOL!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You wanna know how to fully enjoy the sport of sailing and retire with a million dollars in the bank ?

Start at age 30 with 2 million dollars in the bank... :wink:
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

EE, that's a good one. Scot glad you had a good sail, I will have to try an late afternoon sail some time. May be I will see some sailboats at other times of day. "hate being the only one."