Boom Topping Lift

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

Boom Topping Lift

Post by N41EF »

So, reading "Sailing Fundamentals" and it talks about rigging the boat and using a boom topping lift. Looks to be a line from the top of the mast that holds the rear end of the boom up while you rig the main sail onto to boom, or when you have the sail on the boom.

It shows a second not prefered method of using a short line attached to the back stay. My C22 boom has a snap hool on the back that I assumed you clipped to the back stay for this purpose.

What do you folks do?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I have both...

The topping lift also runs through a pulley at the mast head and base to a clam cleat in the cockpit so I can raise the boom up high at anchor. I use the one on the back stay in the slip, or overnighters, to keep it from swingin sideways.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

EE has a topping lift from mast head to boom, and I pull the mainsheet tight to keep it from swinging at rest...the Cal21 had a clip from boom to backstay, forgot to unclip it once when setting sail which prevented me from letting the main out in some nice wind,,got a bit exciting..for that reason I prefer the masthead lift...just my two cents worth
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have just the short line from my back stay. Easy to use once you get used to remembering you have it, the boom falling into the cock-pit will remind you :shock:
If your mast stays rigged for the season a topping lift is the way to go.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I do as EE, I use a 3/8 line tied at mast head, a end of boom. That way the boom can help in a man overboard. You can put a block an tackle on the end of the boom. If you ever have to pull something out of the water.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

One nice thing about a masthead topping lift vs. clipping it to a backstay:

At the dock I tie the boom to the side of the boat away from the dock. It keeps it out of the way and snugging up the main sheet keeps it from swaying.

I use the tail of main halyard, run to the cockpit and through rope clutch. It goes from rope to just in front of the nearest lifeline stanchion, under the lifeline and ties to the boom. Any short length of line tied to the stanchcion would work the same.

I also like to fly flags from my topping lift.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

I use the main halyard on my Buccaneer as a topping lift when at anchor or at the beach to keep the boom above head height.

Who on earth anchors a Buccaneer? This guy! Gotta stop to mix drinks sometime!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante