In need of help on a Lonestar 13 repair

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jessg

In need of help on a Lonestar 13 repair

Post by jessg »

Hello Everyone. This is a great site! I am a serious novice who just purchased a 13' Lonestar that I love. Everything looked good on it overall and I picked it up for a reasonable price (I believe). I got it home, started removing the slats in the floor and noticed the fiberglass is cracked where the slats attach and where the cleat swivel combo and casting mast heel attach. I'm bummed but if it can be repaired I'm sure you guys would know how to do it. I was surprised to see that a piece of wood runs the length from stern to bow surrounded by fiberglass and that is what the mast heel and cleat swivel are really screwed into. The wood underneath is watersoaked and rotten. Luckily the craft appears water tight and the fiberglass underneath the wood it appears to be in great condition. (I chipped away a little of the fiberglass that's falling apart)'

Is this a big fiberglass pro kind of job?

I appreciate any help or direction you may have. I'm really looking forward to getting her out for my maiden voyage.

Thanks.

Jess
John K

Post by John K »

Welcome!

Upon first approaching a possible fiberglass job, it can be a bit intimidating. But, through experience, I've found that it's really not that difficult, especially if it doesn't need it to be pretty, and you aren't fighting gravity. I would really like to see a picture of this. If the wood is not badly deteriorated, and you can get it dried out, you could probably treat it with Smith's Clear Penetrating Epoxy Selaer, then glass back over it. If the wood is toast, I would chip it out, replace it, and glass over it. Post a picture if you can, then we can see how bad it is. You can do the job, and it's not as bad as you think.
1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Post some picts for sure!

An Welcome :D

If your gonna own an older fibergalss boat, ya might as well learn to do the work. There are some tricks to do it well, and lotsa help is at any of the manufacturer websites, ie West Systems, or System Three, YouTube has lots also...

I think of it like drywall work,,, mix it right after the prep work is done, layer it on, then sand off anything that doesn't look like a sailboat! Rarely do I get it perfect, or right on the first try...

Like John said, there are some products also to use if the wood is still in decent shape, but you still have to fix the leak!

Billy
John K

Post by John K »

Bhacurly wrote:mix it right after the prep work is done, layer it on, then sand off anything that doesn't look like a sailboat!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Jess!

Glad to have ya here!

Scott
jessg

Post by jessg »

Thanks Guys. I really appreciate the advice. I'll get a pic posted by tomorrow for you to analyze. The wood is definitely rotten under there so I'm assuming I will need to replace it (I was able to pick it apart with my fingers). I feel very welcomed and honored. Thank you.

Jess
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome, having another sailer is a good thing. An doing a little fixing, makes make's it better.
jessg

Pic in my avatar

Post by jessg »

Hi Everyone. I didn't have an external site set up yet to updload images but I did put it in my Avatar pic for now. What do you think?
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Not familiar with your model of boat, but it looks like the fiberglass hull has a wood reinforcement laying on it that was glassed over. Due to age or stress, the upper glass cracked and allowed water in, which rotted the wood.

I'd use a multi tool to cut the glass along the sides where it comes down the side of the wood to the glass, keep cutting and removing untill you get out of the rotten area. Sand the edges where you cut smooth with the floor, and sand the floor out to about 6 inches past where you cut. For repairs like glassing a 2x4 to the bottom you want to lay glass over the new wood and onto the floor about 3 times the thickness. Remember the glass gives you tensile strength the wood is there for reinforcement and to screw structural things to.

I like West system, or any of the commercial resins, but I would use biaxial glass instead of the randon glass mat. I use wood tounge depresors to mix resin, in a un waxed paper cup. Doing a large repair like that mix several small batches of resin, otherwise it will set up while you are brusing it on. I use disposibile one and two inch brushes from Harbor Freight.

West also makes glass beads or ballons that you mix intot he resin to make a filler. When putting wood on a glass floor airplane guys mix resin and ballons to make a slurry and spread it on the wood and press it down to force the air out, the micro will also fill in the edge and give you a good radius along the edge where the glass will lay correctly.

Just my 2 cents. Chuck.
Last edited by N41EF on Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
John K

Post by John K »

Well said Chuck, I agree. That repair could be done on a weekend, and should cost you about $50.00 with plenty of cloth and epoxy left over for future use.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard Jess.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
jessg

Post by jessg »

Thanks a million Chuck. You make it sound pretty easy. Do you think a pressure treated 2x4 (like one I can get at Home Depot) is the best? Or is there a better, more permanent option that would not rot out easily?
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Most glass work is all in the prep work. By removing wood until you get ALL of the rot out, and replace it with new you stop any further damage. I would use a regular kiln dried wood, not a PT piece. If you want to hard mount the hardware, you can cut out and insert a piece of alluminum or steel that is drilled and tapped, fill the threaded holes with candle wax, then glass over it. After glassing, use a drill to dril down to the candle wax, then a hot air gun to melt the wax and screw a bolt into it.

Once it's glassed you shouldn't have a moisture problem again.

Glassing a new 2x4 doesn't have to be perfect, or beautiful, as long as the wood is in good shape, and weighted to make sure it makes good contact with the hull, then glass over it. Again, if I was doing a 2x4 I'd go out about 6 inches on the hull on each side. That area needs to be sanded before glassing. Mix small batches of resin, doing a small area working your way to the end. Once it's sanded again and painted it should last another 30 years.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
jessg

Post by jessg »

Can't thank you enough Chuck.

Best Regards,

Jess
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

THATS a Lone Star?

Dang, she has most excellent lines! I look forward to some more hires photos of her!

Scott
kerryon

Post by kerryon »

Hi Jess,

Welcome aboard! I have the same daysailor. Actually a well sailing little boat. I'm sure you will have lots of fun sailing her. I have most of the manuals if you havent found them on the web already.

Sounds like someone has left yours sitting level too long without draining the cockpit and the plywood has rotted under the fiberglass - not too uncommon since the ends of the plywood were not glassed in, only the sides were! There is one long strip running from the mast heel to the back of the cockpit and three or four small strips running perp. to that those were all related to raising the cypress floor boards off the fiberglass - the only place you really need the wood strips are under the mast and at the swivel cleat for the main halyard....so if you do cut them out entirely - you might only want to put back small pieces where those parts go - that is assuming your floor boards are gone.

Anywho - welcome aboard. Feel free to ask any questions. I have owned two of these lillt boats so far and have learned alot repairing and sailing them!

David
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Hey Jess where are you from? The boat looks like a Michigan boat with the MC's.

M Go Blue

Brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
jessg

Post by jessg »

Wow, thanks David! I was wondering if that was a possibility (to replace only the areas where the cleat and mast shoe are bolted down.) I was thinking there must be some reason that the 2x4 runs the length of the craft, stability/weight? Do you suggest a kiln dried 2x4 like Chuck recommends? I was wondering about something a little more robust.

Hey Brian. I bought the boat up in Iron Mountain MI but I live 1.5 hours west in Rhinelander WI.
mrtransistor

ls-13 repair

Post by mrtransistor »

Make Pressure plate slide bearing
4 1/2" x 3" 2 pieces
screw down aluminum pressure plate over 1/8" teflon to a board
use knife sharp enough to hijack with to cut around aluminum as guide

Make Washer slide bearing
o.d. 3" 2 pieces
for washer, buy this little jig
http://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable ... 37370.html
screw down teflon to a board
adjust id about 2 7/16" , o.d. 3"
I chucked circle cutter into a cheezy drill press
Out pops perfect washer. I think original was nylon or polyethelene.

O ring
http://www.onlineorings.com/index.php?m ... ts_id=1355

Repair wood rot
Run angle grinder with thin cutter disc over appx 6 1/2" square where fiberglass is proud
Aquire solid polyethelene (milk jug) (hdpe) bathroom stall divider material
maybe http://thecuttingboardfactory.com/
Mark hole for lever, drill with forstner bit
Clear rotten wood
Acetone clean back layer of fiberglass
Fill voids with fiberglass cloth
Alcohol wipe & heat treat 3/4" polyethelene 6 1/4" square block
Attach with West 655 epoxy ........maybe quart needed for both.
Fasten aluminum plate with plumber's putty on back around lever shaft hole to polyethlene block.
I have made better than stock mahogany floor boards and tiller. Beautiful.

Links
http://www.racelitehardware.com/

http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1 ... M-275+Mast

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/pdf/Gluing ... _Gflex.pdf
http://www.jmsonline.net/wsy-6552qt.htm

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/blocks/rl306/ attach new block with blind fastener having expanding rubber section under hull
http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/pl ... /index.htm

http://www.supersailmakers.com/Chrysler ... -C170.aspx

http://www.glen-l.com/free-book/rigging ... ats-4.html

Disclaimers, Legal, BS, further colorful statements
You now have better than new lee boards.
"Your results may vary"
"These are sail tested and bone dry"
"Use all appropriate guards and safety measures"
"This heres what I did"
"Yada Yada"
terrydba

me, too!

Post by terrydba »

Greetings! Brand new on the boards, and glad to be here!

I have been crewing for a friend on White Rock Lake here in Dallas in his Corinthian for about a year or so. I'm really enjoying that community. I have very recently been given a long-trailered LS-13, and I'm excited about developing my own skills on the water.

She needed a good cleaning, and has the exact same wood-rot issue described in this thread.

Happy pictures are here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 048ccedb3c

Condition of the wood is here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d881425683

Looking forward to the journey, and to learning the community here!

Thanks!
Terry
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: me, too!

Post by EmergencyExit »

terrydba wrote:Greetings! Brand new on the boards, and glad to be here!
Welcome aboard !
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome Jess and Terry...Jess, are you gonna name the Lonestar "HODAG" ???
Bill
terrydba

On the water!

Post by terrydba »

I finally splashed my boat this past Saturday. Just out and back across White Rock Lake two or three times. Updated my profile picture with a shot from the day.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: On the water!

Post by EmergencyExit »

terrydba wrote:I finally splashed my boat this past Saturday. Just out and back across White Rock Lake two or three times. Updated my profile picture with a shot from the day.
Good looking pic there !
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Very nice! Congrats on getting her in the water!
Scott
kerryon

Post by kerryon »

Congrats on getting her back in the water. Wishing you many fun days ahead!!!!

David