Out of the water after 8 years.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
clair hofmann

Out of the water after 8 years.

Post by clair hofmann »

As mentioned in another thread,I took a trailer to NC to pull my 26. I have owned her for 8 years and she's never been out of the water. Once a year I would stand in the water at my dock and scrape barnacles with an ice scraper. Last summer the rudder downhaul broke.

I have had this trailer for about 5 years. I have had the axle parts and disc brake parts for 3 or 4 years. Never had time to finish the project. I thought that would change when I retired. Not yet! I did get the rollers set up on it and thought this would be a good time to try the boat on the rollers,fix the downhaul and scrape and check the bottom. This was also its 1st trip up my ramp which worked well. I need to add about 3 feet to the tounge so I can get down to the deepest part of the ramp.

I got it out of the water and pulled about 25 feet onto the yard then jacked and blocked the frame to save the springs and tires. It came up on the trailer bow down but with some jacking and adjusting we got it leveled out. We tied a 2x10 on the cross members and screwed a 1" x8" piece of UHMW on it for the keel to slide on. That worked well but I'll add a framework of some kind to center the keel on the trailer.

We got the new downhaul on so it can be sailed again. Next trip down I'll take the Honda and put a motor mount on and be able to sail again. The next time out I will do a proper bottom job.

Oh BTW while scraping the bottom, I got about a dozen tasty oysters.
Clair
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good job, nice post thanks.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Clair

Great news, now that you have retired the whole world is your oyster. Will be looking for photos in the future to help us live your adventure, being that we both live in N.C. I'll be happy to give you a hand if need be. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)