LED Report

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

LED Report

Post by CaptainScott »

Well,
last night I got a wild hair and flipped on my LED running lights. I do not have the steaming light installed yet but the stern and bow lights are working great!

What I did was turn them on about 5:00 in the evening. Then went out after dark to see how they look. GREAT! They seem very bright and easy to see from a distance!

However that was not the test. The test was . . . . . I left them on all night! Yep! Just for giggles I ran them all night on the boat battery which is maintained by a solar charger!

This morning? No noticable difference in the lighting! YEAH! They will be on all day today and then tonight again after dark, I'll check them to see how they look!

The battery charge was at 14.1 last night. I'm looking forward to see how it is this evening! It will be dark and raining all day today.

Scott
John K

Post by John K »

That's excellent! I think you will continue to be pleasantly surprised. Do you know what the wattage rating is on those? I'm still using plain 'ole incandescent 10 watters. I've gotten some good things done on my boat this year, but an LED upgrade will probably have to wait another year.
1977 C22: Dog House
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Scott, did you just replace the bulbs with LED's or did you get new fixtures?
I'm hoping I could just swap out my old bulbs for new LED's but I'm not sure how the bulb part numbers, translate to the LED replacement part number.
Any insight on that?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Do NOT let the battery go below 10.75V or you may damage it. I have been building telecom battery chargers my whole carrer and that is the drop dead point for most LA (lead-acid) batterys.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Scott, did you just replace the bulbs with LED's or did you get new fixtures?
I'm hoping I could just swap out my old bulbs for new LED's but I'm not sure how the bulb part numbers, translate to the LED replacement part number.
Any insight on that?
I replaced the complete fixtures, bulbs and all! Same with the interior lights. Replaced everything. Only thing I have left is the steaming light. Already have a new fixture but have not installed yet. Draw is very low but I do not remember the exact numbers. I've already tossed the packaging since I did the swap a while ago.

Tonight after sundown I will go check the voltage on the battery. I started with 14.1. Given the Solar charger is on the boat still I expect it should be fine. Assuming it is , I may run the same test with interior lights.

Just looking to see what happens if I leave things on accidently! LOL! 'cause ya know THAT never happens!

My hope is, and numbers follow, that in good normal summer weather my solar charger can keep things fully charged even if I leave the lights on. With my new electric start motor I don't want to pull the starter rope at any time!! LOL!

Scott
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Scott, what kind of solar charger do you use? any pics?

thanks, Nick
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Nicknick32 wrote:Scott, what kind of solar charger do you use? any pics?

thanks, Nick
This is the charger:
http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-12 ... 96418.html

This is the regulator:
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-amp-sola ... 96728.html

The solar panel just sits on the deck leaning against the coachtop on the sunny side of the boat.

When I added my power panel and LED lights, I also added a 12v Cigaratte lighter port. I simply plug the charger in when Lady Jo sits and unplug it and put the panel below for sailing. Well, that is the plan for sailing anyway. I have not had her in the water free from the trailer yet! LOL!

Soon though . . . . .very soon . . . . .

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Good post Scott it is giving me some ideas and that could be dangerous. I think I am going to upgrade my solar and when I can do LED's I am planning on the bulb method I will post here when I am ready to try them.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Thanks for sharing this data collection task with us Scott.

LED nav lights are generally 1/10 the draw of their incandescent counterparts. They run much brighter at a much cooler temperature for a lifetime. I went with new fixtures on the bow because nobody makes a worthwhile bulb replacement. I think Perko has really dropped the ball in this area. I put the $50 festoon star in my Aqua Signal Series 25 stern light and AS masthead/deck light. I modified the deck light to accommodate a MR16 12V landscape light that puts out 300 lumens pulling only 6W. My deck is lit like a stadium. My interior lights are all but one LED. I couldn't be happier. My battery life is greatly improved.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Last night, after sundown and over 24 hours after leaving my running lights on I checked the voltage on my battery.

I started at 14.1 and ended with 12.7 . There was no sun yesterday at all so the solar charger did not get a full capable charge. I am quite pleased so far!

After turning off the nav lights I promptly turned on the interior LED lights! Tonight (24 hours later ) I will see where my voltage is again.

Then I will simply check the voltage on the weekend. We are expecting clouds until then and then full on sun!

FYI I used the builge pump to empty some water that collected on the floor so we have a healthy draw there too.

My expectations are that the Solar Charger will keep up with needs during summer months even with stereo usage, VHF monitoring, and infrequent lighting.

My power needs should be minimal except for builge pump and electric start motor. Once the motor is running it also will charge. I hope to never need to install my planned AC circuit.

Scott
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Based on your voltage readings you have used less then 20% of the battery capacity, probably closer to 12-15%.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Hey Bob!

I'm liking that Utilitech LED! What was your source?
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

It was either Home Depot or Lowes. I go to both so often I forget what I got where. I will look it up when I get home late tonight. Make sure that is this light if you do. It's the only one I could find with enough rim to drill into.
Bob T . . .
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks Bro!

How'd ya'll make out with the tornados?
Mark
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, I just checked Lady Jo
She was at 12.5 volts after leaving the interior lights on all night! ( 24 hrs)
Today was about 50% sunshine 50% clouds.

My guess is I can leave the lights on for 2 days with no real issues during summer months. Winter is different here since we see no sun for months at a time. The solar charger keeps up with no use so far however with a little sun it seems I have the ability to simply leave lights on!

I did get a comment from the neighbor across the street. Guess my red and green bow light is VERY bright for a neighbor hood! LOL!

So far, my electrical system is working perfectly! I think I may forgo a permenant AC system and simply use an extension cord when I need AC.

My DC system is working very well!
All I need to do is drop the mast, install my LED spreader lights and my LED steaming light and I'm done with electrical! YEAH!

For those interested, my bent rudder post has been replaced. I have a source for aluminum replacements almost identical to origional however they are pricey.

Scott
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Thanks Bob!

Wow! SCAREY!!

Kids and Grandbaby are up in Wichita Falls. Brother-in-law and family are in Austin. Baby Brother is in El Paso. Hence, we keep a close eye on the Texans!

I was stationed in Wichita, KS for 4 years...somewhat familiar with Tornado Alley. Reef 'em in!
Mark
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

When Wichita Falls so falls Wichita Falls.........
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

retclt wrote:Scott, What size battery / batteries are you using? What size solar panel?
The Solar panel is a 15 watt cheapo from Harbor Freight. The battery I forget. I'll have to look at it tonight. I do know I bought it from a place that sells blemished batteries and refurbished batteries. Mine was a blem but I forget the amp hours it has.

Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Scott you should be fine with 15W as mine at present is a Sunsei 500 500 ma and keeps up fine even when I left the cabin light (florescent) on for 3 days and my nav lights can run all night I havw not had the urge to see if I left them on during the day I don't think it will keep up.but I have not had to charge the battery in 2 years
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

I use the Harbor Freight solar charger as well and I use a trolling motor to get out from the dock. It works ok if I don't use the motor much. Love Harbor Freight always come home with something from that place.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
John K

Post by John K »

Ditto on the Harbor Freight. There's one just few miles from my house, I went there yesterday!
1977 C22: Dog House
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

what LED fixtures are you using inside the cabin and on the stern?
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
Noenth

Re: LED Report

Post by Noenth »

CaptainScott wrote:Well,
last night I got a wild hair and flipped on my LED running lights. I do not have the steaming light installed yet but the stern and bow lights are working great!

What I did was turn them on about 5:00 in the evening. Then went out after dark to see how they look. GREAT! They seem very bright and easy to see from a distance!

However that was not the test. The test was . . . . . I left them on all night! Yep! Just for giggles I ran them all
led lighting night on the boat battery which is maintained by a solar charger!

This morning? No noticable difference in the lighting! YEAH! They will be on all day today and then tonight again after dark, I'll check them to see how they look!

The battery charge was at 14.1 last night. I'm looking forward to see how it is this evening! It will be dark and raining all day today.

Scott
it is not a big issue your battery must not have charged properly