Stupid Mistake, Any Suggestions For a Fix

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
cdmcdan

Stupid Mistake, Any Suggestions For a Fix

Post by cdmcdan »

I was mounting my battery box and didn't realize where I was drilling. I drilled a small pilot hole (3/64") into the hull and water started pouring in like in a cartoon. Using the resources I had at my disposal, I put a screw in the hole and sealed it with marine sealant. This stopped the water flow coming into the boat. I am aware that this was not the best way to handle the situation. My question - is this enough? Will it harm my boat to only patch it from the inside? If I need to patch the outside, is that an immediate concern or can it wait? I just launched my boat for the season, and would really like to hold off on putting it back on the trailer if possible.
David McDaniel
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I would check like a marine epoxy they say it can be applied underwater and will cure underwater I have not tried it and watch the water temp you don't need to battle hypothermia but IMHO it should be fixed from the outside.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I confess I misdrilled once on EE, but I wasn't afloat at the time...actually I dropped a running drill and it punched a perfect little hole right where the banqettes meet the hull to the left of the keel trunk (mighty thin hull there)..posted not so much to advise you on a repair, but to say you're not the only one to suffer a mistake like this..
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Dan,

Sounds like a good quick fix.... But

I believe you have a C-22, correct? It's early enough I would put it on the trailer and do a quick patch from below. Doesn't have to be pretty for now. Some quick cure epoxy and maybe a small piece of fiberglass cloth after you pull the screw out and rough it up good with sandpaper and clean with acetone. Starting early in the AM and warm temps it should set by evening and off the traler by sundown...

Another option is using 4200, but still on the trailer and not sure of the cure time....

God luck!

Billy
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I think I seen that cartoon, lucky you did not dril another hole to let the water out. I had a 32 foot wooden power, that leaked from time to time. I would go for a swim, with a litle selent on my finger an fix the leak. A 3/64 hole no big deal. As for my 32 foot sadan croser, a divorse in 1986 took care of that, the X-Wife got it.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

What ever method you choose it needs to be done soon. Water infiltration into the fiberglass will eventually cause it to rot from the inside out.
cdmcdan

Post by cdmcdan »

Thanks for all your advice. Yes, I have a C-22. I didn't sleep much last night worried that the boat was taking on water, it wasn't. I think I will pull it out of the water tomorrow and patch it with an epoxy resin and let it sit for a few days and put it back in the water later next week (or next weekend).

David
David McDaniel