How I support my mast when on the road!

Post All Rigging Topics Here
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

How I support my mast when on the road!

Post by CaptainScott »

Got a wild hair over last weekend and bought a mig welder.
The result is a new aft support for my mast on Lady Jo!

Remember I bungie everything tightly before rolling!

Side view overall

Bow support made of pressure treated 4X4 posts! Easy Peasy

Here is my mast catch! Notice the roller under the mast so I can roll her forward or aft as necessary

Here is a hook I made to catch the stern rail for support for and aft. It will get wrapped in protective covering also

Where the bottom sits on my outboard bracket!

Just giving you something to think about! LOL!

Scott
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Scott, I'm jealous. Of course I have every wood-working tool known to man, no welder so I made mine of wood.

Looks like it holds it up enough to raise the mast without scraping the hatch cover?

I also added a rubber roller on brackets in the bottom of my support. When I'm ready to raise it, I slide the mast back, and set it on the hook. When ready to go home, lower it to the roller then slide it forward to the bow pulpit.

You ever think about making these and selling them? I don't have the stern rail so it wouldn't work for me, but I'm betting others would want one.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Guster

Post by Guster »

Scott,

Well done. I'm planning on doing something similar before I put the boat away for winter. I like having the mast up high for the 'tent' effect with the tarp. Last year I used a hodgepodge of wood scraps to elevate the mast. But I like the idea of a more permanent fix. I have a saildrive so picking up off of the transom is not an option. I'm not sure how I'm going to attack it.

How is raising the mast with this set up? Do you have to lift the mast to get the spreaders over the guide bars?

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Scott, I made a similar support for the bow end, but used 2x lumber with 1x attached to the bottom to form the groove. I then used a piece of 1x with wingnuts to clamp the contraption to my pulpit. Nylon cinch strap holds the mast.

My stern arrangement is similar to the bow with the addition of a trailer keel roller to ease mast movement and some plumbing pipe to raise it high enough to clear my solar panel.

I'll get some pictures when I haul her out.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

N41EF,
As far as selling these, I'd be better of using aluminum and having them made! LOL! MY welding skills are far from steller since I've only owned a welder now for 3 days! 8 ) However if anyone was seriously interested, I can take better detailed photos or help in any way I can. Hey Alan? I bet you can weld better than me!! Need one? Come use my tools!

Dan, the higher the support the easier to raise the mast! It is all about leverage! When the boat sits level, the mast is stern high. I like it hi because when I board her I can bungee all the cables up and move around easily! I also was considering the tent idea! The spreaders will not roll over this setup. I have ordered new spreaders like Billy has ( bhacurly ) The airfoil type. I intent on quick release pins so I can pop the spreaders easily. Again for the roller and the tent idea!! As far as the stern mounts, my old version had pintles on the bracket with the mounts bolted to the stern rail and the transom. No motor mount involved! I believe I'm keeping this motor mount so I figured why not use it!

Tom,
Yes, some pictures would be fabulous! I'm beginning to think we should creat sections for detailed stuff on the forum to help eleviate the "search" problems everyone complains about!

You know, maybe a rudder section, mast section, electrical section, keel and pin section. Try and keep the good detailed stuff for each in one place. Just today I was studying Mariners postsw on some of his interior work on his 22. It was abit of a pain to find.

Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Scott-

Sectioning the info would be a great idea! Can't say how many times I've lost info on the site. What a treasure, just need a better way to data mine it.

In the mean time, and for a little humor, I helped my buddy move his mast for his 34 foot Columbia today. Long as the day and he only had a 22-foot trailer. We extended it then added a support with a couple chains, a come-along and a ladder to support the 20-some foot overhang.

Got some looks along the way--true definition of Hillbilly Haulin'!!!

Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
troyengel

Post by troyengel »

I was thinking about making something like that for the bow, I have a jib furler, so I have to bungiee a broom stick to the mast to hold it up. So I was planning on welding one up out of steel, and adding a bracket for the furler, and I was also planning on linning it with fire hose and keeping it stait up and down, as it likes to rest on its side, and tends to bounce around a bit when hitting bumps. (while towing) I have a roller on the aft rail that the mast sits in, also rolls back and forth when moving it into position for stepping. I was getting ready to ask if any one else was going to do something like that. so thanks.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

For my furler I took a 10' piece of 2" sched40 PVC pipe and cut a slot down one side for the furler and tie above the mast pushed down to the furler drum.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
troyengel

Post by troyengel »

Hey, thats a good Idea. Thanks.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Finally, pictures of my mast carriers.

Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Scott,

I want to return to the original picture at the top of the thread. I wanted to do the same sort of support but... what keeps it from sliding side to side? Since I trailer extensively, and the roads in Colorado are not known for being straight, I want to make sure it doesn't move.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos