Boat Names?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

Boat Names?

Post by N41EF »

How did you come up with a boat name? SHMBO (she who must be obeyed) says she could care less. I've asked a few friends and they offered:

The Daughter said name it after her, and offered "Echo Fox" her initials.

A friend offered "Crazy Redhead" but I know three of them.

A bubblehead offered "Das Boot" from the German Sub movie The Boat.

A fellow advisor offered "Short Sale"

Another advisor offered "Wa$ted"

Another bubblehead offered "Scorpion" as a tribute.

I've thought of a few:

"WIP" Work in progress, after reading many of your posts.

"Escape Pod" it's a Star Wars thing

"Therapy" I work on things in the garage to decompress after explaining to people why Greek bonds influence the US market.

"Client Meeting" I'm sorry, Chuck is out of the office with a client meeting....

I'm a pretty sarcastic guy, and think things like this need to reflect the personality of the guy who does the brightwork.

How did YOU come up with your boat name?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

In short,

Two named boats. Destiny and Forplay

Destiny was named before my wife and I married MANY moons ago.
I had an RC sloop. Named her Destiny for our relationship. The bow numbers mimiced Washington State numbers and were her phone number at the time which I can repeat to this day. Our relationship was one that should never have happened yet it did and I would not trade it for the world! We've named each of our dream boats Destiny ever since.
Oh yeah, Still have the same RC sloop that is now nearing antiquity. She also is still named Destiny and still in great working condition!

Forplay is our C22. The name she came with. We will rename her Lady Jo II. For my mom Jo Ann. Our previous C22 was "Lady Jo"!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Don't work to hard on the name, it will just come to you and feel right :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I agree with Bondo, it will come.

I wanted to express my love of the place I grew up and learned to sail, FL.
"Island Time" is how much of us lived growing up. Show up late in flip-flops, with a care-free attitude. Unfortunately I found a couple other boats named this, so upon playing with an online translator, it came up with "Tan Zile" which is Haitian Creole for Island time.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My Getaway says it all because if I called mistress CFO would not have been pleasant and I want to keep my bride.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Well, you know, life is unexpected.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

She is a C 22 and it just seemed to be the way things were always going around here. So Catch 22 it is.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I came up with Copacetic 25 years ago, while sailing Hobie cats. I decided that should be the name of my first "big" boat. It took a while to get there.

Copacetic is the way I feel when I'm on her, whether it's sitting in the marina or out on the lake.

I agree, it will come to you, probably in your sleep.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boat Names?

Post by EmergencyExit »

N41EF wrote:How did YOU come up with your boat name?
I'll fess up..

'Emergency Exit'..2nd marriage each, 7 children total, 2 high pressure jobs with 1 person pursueing a Phd, ....The first 18 months we had her nobody else even knew where she was moored..

'Callipygian' (the Cal21) was a matter of wanting a name that started with "Cal" and running across that one in the dictionary, you can Google that one..

The unfinished/unstarted Rhodes Bantam project "Cheval Chanel" because it was outside a barn and the horses were drinking rainwater from it...loose French for "Horse Trough"..

'Warm Waters' the Coronado C15 because I hate a wet cold butt, and only sail it in summer, lol..
BC

name

Post by BC »

A good one from the marina where I store my "new" c22 -un-named at this point- has his 30ft'er named "The Office".

Probably has a wife that thinks he works alot.
BC
When you come to a fork in the road - take it!
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

Bring
On
Another
Thousand
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

A red sailboat and a baby daughter who we named Rose made it a no brainer. "Red Rose"
1980 C22 Rose Sea
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

My great grandmother was named Rose. I knew a girl in the Air Force years back named Rose.

What a classic name!! Just love it! Congrats on the baby! My first Grand-baby is due this Dec. Mark is his name! Coulda pushed me over with a feather when they told me that!!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
skyking

Post by skyking »

After getting my C22, and becoming obsessed with getting it underway..MYTYME just came to me...
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

We are going to name our boat Quitaque after the little Texas town just south of the quietest camping area we have ever been in, Caprock Canyon State Park.

The solitude and tranquility of the water when sailing brings that experience to mind.
Try to think of something that you loved and maybe a name will come to you.
Pronunciation of Quitaque is Kit-a-kay...small a in the middle
Bill
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

mcrandall wrote:My great grandmother was named Rose. I knew a girl in the Air Force years back named Rose.

What a classic name!! Just love it! Congrats on the baby! My first Grand-baby is due this Dec. Mark is his name! Coulda pushed me over with a feather when they told me that!!!
Thanks and grats to you too. From the photos it looks like you really did a great job on fixing the keel on your boat. Are you planning any trips to north Texas by any chance? :)
1980 C22 Rose Sea
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

As a matter of fact, son-in-law and daughter are stationed in Wichita Falls (Sheppard AFB) and that's where that new Grandson's gonna be residing as well. We'll be making a trip or two (or more) to that neck of the woods.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Cindy + James =CinJam
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

N41EF - '

Flyin' Low' ?

'MSL Zero' ? (You'll always be at that altitude unless something is seriously wrong and you go into negative numbers.. :wink: )
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I had planned for decades to name my boat Freehold. To be a Freeman who owned his own freehold, in Ireland of the 1800's, was the ultimate dream. But the Admiral stepped in and asserted rank.

She does not believe the C-22 will be the last boat (wise beyond her years) and so it needed it's own name.

Daydream Believer because in her mind this was all a daydream I've held on to for a long time and she never believed it was going to happen. I doubt very much that she knows it was a hit song for the Monkees, and again for Anne Murray.

The LS-16 became Cinderella because she cleaned up so nice. And that was just with a washing. She's got a lot of work to be done yet.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

As Captain Bondo said above, the name will come when the name will come.

I toyed with Greek Mythological names, historic sailing vessels of years gone by, I worked real hard on puns too but nothing really fit... Till one day...

My wife had not come to see the boat for the first 2 months I owned my new C-22. It was in morage a ferry boat ride away out on the peninsula of Washington State.

I ran several of the not yet correct names by her that I had come up with. It was a long list. She said no those names are not any good. She thought for a moment and said, it is the Honu (Hawaiian for Sea Turtle) pronounced Hoe-New. She said the boat is old and was built very wisely and swam in the Ocean but could fold up it's keel and get around on land and roam around a little on a trailer before heading right back into the water again, it's natural element. And it was only 4 letters long and fix perfectly on the stern of my C-22.

The lettering went on that day and it was Christened that very evening, Honu.

This boat was 30 years old and had never been named. I don't know how many owners it's had since new. I do know the story of the last 2 owners and myself. This boat broke down 3 times in the same place in Puget Sound many years apart for all 3 of us owners.

The prior 2 owners sailed her very little due to this fact and there fear of it happening again. I almost sold my boat right then and there for the same reason but I held onto the dream. I named the boat and it has been exceptional, never failing me ever since it got a name. It handled better, sails as sweet as you please, no more breakdowns of any kind. Sure minor repair stuff but no real breakage or damage.

When the name is right, you will know it, and it will be excellent.

Thanks
Alan

P.S. I came this close to naming my Honu, Loki (Pronounced Low-Key) for the Norse God of mischief, Thor's half brother. That was just asking for trouble. :shock:
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I posted this a little over one year ago.

I'd had a number of people ask me what name I was going to give my c26. Nothing really appealed to me, had a couple of cutesy names, but they just didn't work.
My mom who was actually looking forward to going out on my boat in the future. This woman was deathly afraid of the water. I did get her out on my last sailboat twice in the six years I owned it. At 91 years young, I thought it would be pretty difficult, she could walk well enough, but her balance was questionable.

Maudie Kay Sauer
March 26, 1919 - July 27, 2010
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
gryff57

End of Discussion

Post by gryff57 »

I was contemplating the purchase of a 1980 Chrysler Buccaneer 18 and asked my wife what she thought. "End of Discussion," was the reply. So, two weeks later I own the boat and ask her what I should name it. "End of Discussion," she says again. So, that might just be the new name.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

gryff57,

Welcome aboard!
Glad to have ya here!

We won't "End of Dsicussion" ya! We'll chat your ear off!

Now where are those photos of your new ride?

Again, Welcome!
Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard gryff57,
and as Scott said we won't cut anyone off as far as sailing related.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/