So, I need to build a new aft mast cradle

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

So, I need to build a new aft mast cradle

Post by N41EF »

My to-do list is getting stupid long. I need to come up with a rear mast cradle to replace the piece that was on the boat. Something higher so it will hold the mast off the roof when trailered, and idealy high enough to hold it up as I try to erect the thing as well. Yhis, does neither.

I searched and found a killer one that mounts to a rear pulpit, which I don't have. Anyone have a decent plan or drawing, or at least pictures?

Thanks in advance!
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

One piece of stainless steel rail tubing, a few fittings, a roller and a pipe bender used by electricians and presto.............

N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Still cruising through looking at pictures of other folks. I did figure out that to use the cradle both for trailering and raising the mast, I need the mast 34 inches above the fiberglass stern. Lower that that and the boom conection digs into the pop top hatch.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Okay, so I started working on my first erection, and while contemplating life in general though hey, what if the mast cradle attached to the motor mount? So I took a 2x8 that was in the garage, cut a v notch in it, clamped it to the mount and used a floor jack to support it as I adjusted the height. The 34 inch is good, might go to 36 inches above the top of the stern.

Can anyone think of a reason not to support the mast on the motor mount? I'm thinking a 4 inch v roller mounted on the end of the 2x8 with a piece of angle iron to support the weight and c clamps or some sort of wing nut clamp to hold it secure.

The full weight of the mast is only on the cradle when raising the mast, for transportation it would only be about half.

What do you think?

Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

...but what would you do with your OB motor?
The origional equipment mast support is mounted directely on the top of the stern cockpit combing via a couple standard brackets.
I'll never mis-place it and it's a great boarding handle when climbing abord after a swim.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

There are two black plastic brackets mounted inside the upper lip of the cockpit, is that where the mast support is supposed to go?

My outboard is a 5hp two stoke, weighs about 65 pounds, since I'm already too light on the tongue weight I figured I'd haul it in the back of the rover.
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

N41EF wrote:There are two black plastic brackets mounted inside the upper lip of the cockpit, is that where the mast support is supposed to go?

My outboard is a 5hp two stoke, weighs about 65 pounds, since I'm already too light on the tongue weight I figured I'd haul it in the back of the rover.
The mast support on both of my C-22's have 2 cups just on the outside of the backstay brackets that the support drops into. They look similar to the stanchion mounts. The support is angled toward the center with a flat top and a roller on it.

Was looking at the pic you posted in one of your other posts. If you think that your tongue weight is too light, it looks like you can move your winch and bracket forward a couple inches. Tongue weight should be roughly 10% or about 350lbs. If the U-bolts are too rusty, get a couple new ones and just cut the old ones off.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Yep, there are two cups just fwd of the backstays. I'm guessing in 32 years and a few owners someone bent it and tossed it. Did the original hold it up high enough to be able to slide open the hatch with the mast on it? I may make a wooden one for now and see if I can find an original one.

Yes, you can see on the trailer tongue that the winch bracket has been moved back about two inches. I am going to move it up an inch and when I float the boat move it up and see if that helps. I have maybe 75 pounds of weight on the hitch right now. The trailer has full length binks so position on the trailer shouldn't be a problem.
blu by you

Post by blu by you »

my c22 has a roller on the stern pulpit and the po made a support that goes on the hook where the mast mounts, that takes the bounce out of the mast when towing
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
steve Souter

Post by steve Souter »

I have an original aft mast cradle if you are still interested. If so, email me at:
ssouter63@att.net or call 972.406.1033
Dallas, TX