Single Axle Trailer Tire Size and Rating

Post All Trailering Topics Here
N41EF

Single Axle Trailer Tire Size and Rating

Post by N41EF »

First on the list of a hundred things to fix, I need trailer tires. The current size is 225/70 15. The sag like an librarians butt on a too small bar stool. I've read a couple of threads here and a few others about load ratings and such. I understand the need for proper load rating, on my list of things to do Sunday is to pull the boat to a scale about three miles from home and get an accurate weight. So, for this group I offer a few questions:

1) What does it mean when they say it's a trailer tire? What does the "trailer" rating actualy mean?

2) Since several people seem to have trouble getting getting the boat off the trailer, has anyone gone to a shorter tire? I don't think I'd want to go narrower than a 205 tire, but what about a 225/60 or a 205/60 or 205/65? I used this tire on a VW Eurovan and had good luck with it:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... toModClar=

A 225/70-15 is 27.4 inches in diameter, the 205/65-15 is 25.5 in diameter. Would lowering the axle an inch help much? The Vanco 2 for both of those are rated for 1875 per tire at $132.00 each

3) Some of the big box stores have radial and bias tires listed as trailer tire. The Rover has radials, and I know you can't mix types on a car, but if the bias tires have a better rating and price would it make a difference?

As always, thanks for you help and info, Chuck
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Trailer tires have a stiffer sidewalls and higher weight ratings. Trailer tire construction is also optiized for the trailering position since they dont have to work with power or steer conditions.

Best!

-JK
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Welcome to the board, I'm only a few months in to the Chrysler sailboat scene and have gotten tons of good info on this website. It's been a while since I worked in the tire industry, but from what I remember, the biggest difference is sidewall stiffness. I just bought another C-22 the other day for the trailer that was under it. It is a tandem axle (what I wanted) with currently non-functional brakes. In my case, the stock wheels on it are 14's rated at 1720 lbs with 3500 lb axles, overkill for the boat. I bought 2 new wheels and tires for the front axle before I drug it 100 miles home. Check your wheels for rust and straightness. Might make sense to get the wheels and tires together, especially if there is not a spare on the trailer.
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

If you have clearance for a 225/75/15, looks like they are available with a 2050lb rating. The higher the rating the better. Stock weight of boat and trailer is close to the 1820lb rating of the other tires. Add all the gear, engine and cooler and you easily can exceed it. Launching the boat with taller tires can be offset by using a taller hitch.

http://www.easternmarine.com/ST225/75R- ... /Rim-Galv/
Link to tire and wheel combo.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

All I can say is passenger car tires are for passenger cars...light truck tires are for light trucks ...and trailer tires are specifically designed for trailers...USE TRAILER TIRES !!!
Bill
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I agree with Astrorad and you have to figure on load rating and ply to carry the weight as an example my trailer uses the same size as my truck but they are load range E and 10 ply when you take 5500# for the boat and 1500# for the trailer take off 200# for tounge weight the tires have to carry 6800#.USE TRAILER TIRES boats do not react well to road rash.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

An update, the trailer got new tires last Friday. Goodyear Marathon ST225/75-15 D rated, 8ply. Found them at Sears for $124 each. Walmart has the same tires for $130. Goodyear makes that tire and size in a C and a D load rating, I went with D, inflated to 55psi, trailer sits up more, and was much better pulling it this weekend.

Tire Kingdom is a regional tire place here in the South. They stock 10ply E rated tires different brand for about $145. We have a lot of horse trailers in the area, so most places stock trailer tires. Still looking for a galvanized steel wheel to get a spare.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting