I drive my hotrod to my boat sometimes to go sailing .. . ..

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

I drive my hotrod to my boat sometimes to go sailing .. . ..

Post by CaptainScott »

OK, I got the sailing content in! LOL!

Oh, since I mentioned hotrods and I KNOW some of you are into cars . . . .

I just learned today that BF Goodrich is no longer making 15" Radial TA's.
IF you are an old school hotrodder, this is useful information. Some are still available and in stock. Once Cooper gets the molds and old stock is gone, prices will likely double! Price is already way up from last year.

Just sayin' . . . . . . .

Oh yeah, for the non hot rodders the Radial TA tires are the quintessential example of "modern" late 1960's era hot rod tires. They've always been off the shelf items for 15" rims. I guess that is no longer the case.

These are the best looking tires for a hotrod parked at the marina! LOL!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I was a fan of Mickey Thompson, Indy Profile's. (on the car that carried my Sunfish)...sailing reference... :wink:
No one likes the raised white letters anymore :cry:
But then most tires hardly have a side wall for lettering.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

Oh WOW, what a memory. I had 15 in TA's on my 68 mustang (in 1980), they were the stardard of the day. I was always told the TA stood for Tuscaloosa, Alabama, my home town which is were they were made. Don't know if there's any truth to that.
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Wow, this really dates us. My first car was a 40 Ford two door sedan with a 53 Merc flathead. I was given a 292 (283 bored) Chevy, Duntov solid lifter cam, forged pistons, single Holly four barrel. Replaced the drive train with GM components. American mags and Mickey Thompson, Indy Profile tires. Pulled my 16 foot wooden Comet for a year or two. Wish I still had that car.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

38 special wrote:Tuscaloosa, Alabama, my home town
So if I were to say "Dreamland".....you get hungry ?
:wink:
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

like Pavlov's dog
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

38 special wrote:like Pavlov's dog
"Ain't nuthin' like 'em nowhere..."
(sailing content: old wooden ships also have ribs)

John K

Post by John K »

Scott, one of my coworkers has a 1970 Pontiac LeMans with a fully punched out 455 in it (it's a beast). He had a heck of a time finding radial T/A's for it. I think he finally did find a set. So he now has extinct tires on an extinct car brand. Kinda sad in a way. Seeing these American icons disappear is just strange. I'm more of a Ford guy, but I really loved Oldsmobile. I once had a V-8 Cutlass Calais, what a great car. I miss it. :cry:
1977 C22: Dog House
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah yes, I had a 1972 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400 with the 2 factory hood air scoops. Radial TA's on Craigers, 8 to 10 MPG if I was good to it, less if I put my foot in the 4 barrel carb. Altered exhaust came out the side of the car under the door, just in front of those over-sized extra wide rear Radial TA's, normal TA's on the front :roll:

Yea my dad, (Confirmed member of the brown fedora society and had that special Geasore drive installed on his 1968 Cadillac Deville and the permanent left blinker on, often seen driving in the left lane, yea him!) Said and I quote, "You will kill yourself in that car!" Then asked if we could go for a drive and could he please drive.

We headed down the road in a some what more aggressive manner then I had seen my dad EVER drive before. We stopped at the stop sign, my dad looked both ways, Dropped the 100 lbs. racing clutch and burned rubber for half the block, shifting gears as we accelerated. He was taking corners like we were on rails, topped 130 mph in the strait at least once, did some other stunt driver type moves. Then we rumbled back home to mom and dad's house in the more sedate style I had grown up with. I was of course gripping the interior so tightly blood the had stopped flowing to my hands some time much earlier and I required new shorts. :shock: Mom and Dad bought motor cycles about a month later, joined a biker club. Mom started winning motor cycle races, yes the seniors class race and the overall younger crowed racers too, also beating the men's class as well. Parents can be so hard to raise sometimes! You think you get them all raised then the you go and move out your own and they start raising heck as soon your out of the house. :lol:

Then there was the 1979 Black 6.6 liter Pontiac Trans Am (A La "Smoky and the Bandit" but I had the hard top not the "T Tops") Radial TA's there too but I can't remember the rims on that one. And yes I did get the car airborne once, but on accident I swear. I did not see that load of lumber in my lane across the freeway. I was going at least 110 and it was dark, no way I could have seen it. Seemed like the car flew a long way, and high too but I'm sure it was not more than a few inches off the ground in reality. Again new shorts were required and I never every really felt the need for speed after that. So now I drive a Cadillac Deville, wear a hat, brown and that left blinker does stay on more then I think is really necessary. Well honk if you must I always say, I have an AARP card! :P

My son did not believe I had ever owned cars like that or drove like that before he was born. Like father, like son, like grand son. But no more radial TA's, sad day.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

After some searching it seems TA's are still around but you have to hunt them down. Now more than ever the date codes on them are important!

Alas, I surrendered to the times.
My baby is now sporting a new set of Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 255/60 R15's

Yes, I again felt that twinge of age when the young tire guy asked TWICE if I was sure I wanted the white lettering out! LOL!

Ah, she feels good on the road again! New tread, perfectly balanced, and LOTS of side wall to soften the road!!! LOL!

Scott