solar vent

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hadaveha

solar vent

Post by hadaveha »

I have been looking at solar vent fans to keep the cabin of my C22 less humid, anyone using one of these and if so how does it work, and allso where, did you cut your hole and mount the fan
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

This will be an interesting thread to follow! I've been very interested in these also but I always wonder how long they last. Can they go years without maintainance or do the motors die sooner?

Scott
mariner

Post by mariner »

Your not actually considering cutting a new hole in your baby? shocking! :shock:
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

not fond of cutting a whole in her at all, but I am getting some water in from.toe rail,windows hatch, not alot anywhere but with a little blowing rain I get some leaks, You mix this with 100 degree alabama heat, maybe some 85 % humidty and you can imagine what my cusions look like ,molded bread I the by pulling some of that moist air out it could help.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I've found that venting the companionway boards and a box fan in the v-berth works great. In my experience, the solar vents last 2 years on average. Most cut them into the fore hatch or all hatches.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

My C-26 came with one in the head. Not working at first, but after changing the battrey it has been running 24/7 for 6 years.
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

have you noticed it making any difference in the stuffyness onboard with the solar fan running
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL