Stanchions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mariner

Stanchions

Post by mariner »

Has anyone replaced their stanchions? I'm looking for a replacement and am trouble finding a source. I'm looking to replace with the same as oem 7/8" mine are bent up.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I do not have a source but I do have a link to a prior post where Windward went into extreem detail which I have saved for my own future use. It seems to me that there were some sources in this link. I have not confirmed there are sources but it was the best I can do.

viewtopic.php?t=2518&highlight=stanchions

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Okay now this is funny. I just went back and looked at the thread I posted the link to above and there is a source for stanchions all right.... and it was provided by Mariner! :lol:

Too good, I give you a link right back to what you already have. Guess I was not as helpful as I had hoped. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
mariner

stainless steel stanchion tube

Post by mariner »

Alanhod wrote:Okay now this is funny. I just went back and looked at the thread I posted the link to above and there is a source for stanchions all right.... and it was provided by Mariner! :lol:

Too good, I give you a link right back to what you already have. Guess I was not as helpful as I had hoped. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
Alan, you are right, I have the stanchion bases, I was looking for the stanchions - I have found a source, browsing until my eyes glassed over...

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=244363F
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
mariner

Post by mariner »

I have decided to ditch my 7/8" bases and change to 1" bases, I found stainless steel stanchions on ebay for 6 bucks a piece. this is way less than new tubing and then add in a top and you have north of 40 bucks per stanchion!
Last edited by mariner on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
TravisJ

Re: Stanchions

Post by TravisJ »

mariner wrote:Has anyone replaced their stanchions? I'm looking for a replacement and am trouble finding a source. I'm looking to replace with the same as oem 7/8" mine are bent up.
Are you looking to relpace one, or all of them? My C22 does not have stanchions or lifelines (it's a fin keel and lives on a lake), however the previous owner had acquired a set he took off of some other boat and had planned to install them. They've been sitting in my attic ever since. I couldn't bring myself to drill that many holes in my deck. If interested, shoot me a PM.
1991 Capri 26 "Mari Sol"
1976 Chrysler 22 "Evening Star"

Commodore, Lynn Creek Yacht Club
Lake Joe Pool, Grand Prairie, TX
mariner

Re: Stanchions

Post by mariner »

TravisJ wrote:
mariner wrote:Has anyone replaced their stanchions? I'm looking for a replacement and am trouble finding a source. I'm looking to replace with the same as oem 7/8" mine are bent up.
Are you looking to relpace one, or all of them? My C22 does not have stanchions or lifelines (it's a fin keel and lives on a lake), however the previous owner had acquired a set he took off of some other boat and had planned to install them. They've been sitting in my attic ever since. I couldn't bring myself to drill that many holes in my deck. If interested, shoot me a PM.
Travis, thank you for the offer...I'm in the process of re-beding and replacing the stanchion bases and all of the life lines etc. they are all original and have seen better days. I originally ordered just new bases from a co. in FL for a very reasonable price (think it was about 6 bucks a piece) and I ordered for 7/8" diam. since that was what was on the boat to begin with. However I had a really hard time finding 7/8 stanchions or tube, when i finally found the material it was 12 bucks a lin. ft. and then add in the eye at the top I was looking at well north of 40 bucks per stanchion.

Ultimately I found new 1" stanchions on ebay for 6 bucks a piece and just got new 1" bases (I ordered 1" bases from the same manufacturer that i got the rest of my hardware from but the 1" bases were not the same quality as the rest...had to send them back and finally got 1" bases from TACO metals that are good quality but double the price)

So all in all I got new stanchions with accommodations for two life lines, or as I like to call them - edge of boat guides and bases for 18 bucks a piece.

new and old stanchions
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Those look real nice Mariner, can't wait to see the installed photos in the near future.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

detail onteh source would be welcome.. also what are you going to bed them with 4200? and what will youback them with?

Also, are you going to drill out all holes oversize, fill with epoxy and then drill correct size holes ( a whole lot of work) ?

I asked the surveyor about this practice as I understood this to be the std practice for a cored deck.... He said .. no.. not necessary.. we have what he thought was a plywood core and if you look at the existing hole and if the core is Neither Wet nor Rotted then you can just use the hole and bed it nicely and you are ok... IF you find the hole has a wet or rotted core then you got extra work to do....

not sure he is right, but I am thiniking a hour of prevention ( sealing the hole) is worth 40 hours ( ripping up and recoring, drying out, epoxy filler) of fixing rotted core...
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
mariner

Post by mariner »

I have drilled out (oversize to expose fresh material) the existing holes and filled them with epoxy.(two out of the existing four can be reused) All of the holes were oversized and the wood "dug out" between the fiberglass, see link below.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/sealing_the_deck

I will not "bed" with anything except with butyl rubber. see link below

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebedding_hardware

thats how I have done it so far, I have also had some new stainless steel backing plates made up...

some have been made oversize with welded threaded studs to accept various pieces of hardware like marine VHF and fans... I'll post more of that later. :D

stanchions are from:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390330914816?ss ... _500wt_922

Image TACO Bases

and the 1" bases are from Defender and are made by TACO marine, Note: after ordering several others only TACO has a solid base... sea-dog is also like the photo below.

this is the 1" base that I got from marine part depot
http://www.marinepartdepot.com/index.html
I did not like it, it looks like it came from a different manufacturer than the 7/8" bases that I got from them preveously, prior to swithing to the 1" stanchions.
Last edited by mariner on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
al the pal

Post by al the pal »

This is an awesome post, mariner! I will be referring to this information often. Keep 'em coming!
1979 C-26
My Boat Overhaul Blog: http://alexadrift.wordpress.com/
mariner

Post by mariner »

I finally had some time and cooperative weather to start bolting things together, just got into drilling everything and could not find my 1/4 inch drill bit (actually I could not find my entire steel set of drill bits) to drill the stainless backing plate, after an hour of fruitless searching I went to the Sears harware store and got a new bit.. well one is done only three more to go!

New stainless steel backing plate.
The screws you see projecting from the leading edge are actually puddle welded to the backing plate, these will hold the VHF radio without having to drill any additional holes into the boat. I'll take some pics when completely done.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"