Jib question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeithR

Jib question

Post by KeithR »

Over the next few weeks I would like to plumb the depths of knowledge here on the forum with a few questions I have had in the back of my mind after sailing my Chrysler over the last 9 months.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my boat, but I think I can make a few improvements and don't want to re-invent the wheel.

A little background: I have the original 110 Vector Sails Genny that I'm pretty sure came with the boat. The other day out sailing I noticed that the jib halyard is rigged so presumably one could use a much larger (150+ genny) on the boat. I.e there is a lot of halyard above the jib head. I have access to the materials that would allow me to fabricate a wirerope assembly that would allow me to raise the jib tack up to the railing. I am of the opinion that moving the jib up would minimize chaffing on the sail from the lifelines and give me better sail shape and hence more speed when sailing down wind. Now my questions:

What do I stand to lose if I do this and am I crazy for even thinking of doing this? :roll:
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I don't know how much speed you might gain but saving the sail from chaffing on the rail makes sense. I've been thinking of doing the same on REDUX with my furling genoa. I need to raise mine about 1 ft of the drum to get the sail clear of the rail when fully deployed.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
John K

Post by John K »

Sounds like it would work, but it would probably increase your heel a bit. FWIW I have an OEM 170 genny and it works wonderfully on those really light days.
1977 C22: Dog House
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

John

Speaking of a sail around 170, I've picked up an old one along the way. Not having any real dealings to speak of with a sail of this size, or any sails for that matter (been on the water once, not my boat). Does a larger sail like a 170 translate into more work and more experience needed to use it properly and does one length lead fit all just more or less line to deal with at any given time?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

John K wrote:Sounds like it would work, but it would probably increase your heel a bit. FWIW I have an OEM 170 genny and it works wonderfully on those really light days.
Never thought about the heeling issue, you make a good point, I'll have to watch that. Your question leads on up to my next question on installation of jib cars on the C-22. Since I don't have them installed on the Lucky, I was considering installation, but I am really concerned about room on an already crowded and small deck. If I install jib cars, I could flatten the sail out and reduce the power of the sail and I believe, the heel of the boat in heavy winds. What think you and any others that wish to chime in?

A sub-question to the jib car question, if you don't have them installed and are using the toe rail, are you moving them based on the wind strength you are sailing in, or do you pretty much leave them set in one location for all wind?

I'll bet that 170 uses every bit of jib halyard!
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

hp18carr wrote:John

Speaking of a sail around 170, I've picked up an old one along the way. Not having any real dealings to speak of with a sail of this size, or any sails for that matter (been on the water once, not my boat). Does a larger sail like a 170 translate into more work and more experience needed to use it properly and does one length lead fit all just more or less line to deal with at any given time?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
More work, I personally don't think so. More experience, I think so. Since I don't own a C-26 I'm not an expert, but based on other boats and using a larger jib, I will tell you that the captain must monitor the wind much closer and if you don't have a way to reef, you can get yourself in trouble really fast. Also, the larger sail means the boat will handle a bit different than a small jib.

Also tacking the larger jib can be an adventure in itself, even using a 110 I sometimes have hang up issues when the jib is coming across the deck.

Just my opinion FWIW.
John K

Post by John K »

Keith, I move the blocks along the toerail for the various sails (110, 150, 170), that's about it. If they are too far back with the 110 hanked on, the foot goes tight with a loose leach that spills too much wind out of the top. And obviously, if I had a bigger sail on and I'm too far forward on the toerail, I've got a big balloon that I can't flatten. The main thing is knowing which one to run. You sure as heck don't want to be in 15-20 mph with that 170 up. Roller furling would be nice, but that's way out of my budget.
1977 C22: Dog House
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

John

Thanks for the information, not a day goes by that I'm reminded that I've still a lot to learn. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

John, that is a 175 in EE's avatar. Great for light air, but impossible to get it to blow thru during a tack - you literally have to carry it over by hand.

Of course if you get enough wind to get it to blow thru, then you have begin to have too much wind for a headsail that big..
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

To throw my experience in...

The air up there is "cleaner" and is more desirable.
It will definately add to the heel.
If you look at race boats over the years the have changed there sail shape to increase the area at the top of the mast.
This is also why Gaff rigs are popular.

I have the arrangment of a very strong single block attached where the sail is usually attached. I then have a very nice snap shackle attached to the eye on the sail (clew), attached to the snap shackle is a line that runs through the block to the bow cleat. This gives me the ability to run at a reach and have it above the bow pulpit, but then bring it back down to run close-hauled.

On the jib car, if your sailing alone then after a while you'll find a general area where the will work fine. If you really want to tune the boat, you will be moving or even removing them often.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com