I've been a lit'l busy this spring...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bryan

I've been a lit'l busy this spring...

Post by bryan »

Hey all, just wanted to update you on my boat projects this spring that I finally got done recently. Yes, my boat is in the water again and I have to thank Capt. Bondo over and over for helping me haul it and other setups - thanks man! Again the tightknit community on this forum proves to be most valuable.

This spring I completed the following projects:

- New topside paint
- New bottom paint
- Remove the 4 OEM portlights, sanded and repainted the frames, replaced the plexiglass, resealed
- Replaced most standard rigging
- Installed bilge pump in the stow area where the keel pin is
- Remounted the interior shelving areas to the left and right of the campanionway
- Installed a new stereo system and speakers
- Made a new switch panel with: Light switches, cigarette lighter, voltmeter, ammeter, bilge pump control, master on/off key ignition
- Patched the large dings in the rudder with Marine-Tex epoxy, then repainted
- Made a new mast trailering bracket
- Patched the minor glass damage around the bow eye with Marine-tex
- Wired and installed a new mastlight
- Had all new cushions made
- Made a custom black poly motor mounting board
- Wired up a solar trickle recharger

Check my photos to see the photos and a video of a marina lifting my boat of the trailer so I could finish bottom painting.

Regards

Bryan
Guster

Post by Guster »

Brian,

The boat looks great.

I'm planning on painting new topside and bottom on my 22. I'm interested to hear how it worked out on yours. What kind of paint did you use? What method did you use to apply it? Did you remove all the deck hardware or paint around it? How long did it take? If you could do it over, what would you have done different?

I hope do the bottom and the keel pin late in the season. Then topside will be done over the winter.

Sorry for all the questions.

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Very nice job, Bryan!!

Really looks great! Be very proud!

Thanks for the pics!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Bryan,

From this...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberwisp/4153494493/

to this...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberwisp/5893318845/

WOW!

Time to update your Avatar my friend, the boat in the current Avatar no longer exists. The reincarnation appears to have taken hold with a vengeance. :shock: I like it a lot! :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
bryan

Post by bryan »

Hey thanks guys - I really appreciate the comments. Yes Alan I agree that it's time for a new avatar! I'm working on it and want to get an action picture of the boat out on the water with sails up, etc. Now that would make a good avatar.

Dan, out of all the things I did with this boat to make it look better, the new paint is hands down the obvious best one. If you're wondering if painting it will make your boat look better - this is it bud. It literally gave my boat a second life and I am VERY happy with how it turned out. In short, I used Interlux Brightside "fire red" and white (for the stripe) topside paint, I believe also Interlux marine primer and bottom paint - sorry but I threw the empty cans out already. Total of $300.00 for all the paint, tape, rollers, brushers, etc. I used the roll and tip method and got most of my info for the job here on this forum, as a matter of fact, and some off YouTube.com - its all here. Give it a look or PM me if you want some more details though, ok? I'd be happy to help you out. I studied up, took my time and overall it wasn't that difficult. And the results...
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Bryan

Did you paint the toe rail black? It really looks sharp in contrast to the hull.

brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
bryan

Post by bryan »

Hi Brian, I didn't paint that although it does look like it in the photos, doesn't it. Photos can be misleading and if you get closer to it, the toe rail shows faded flat black - not new at all! On that note, there are some very minor imperfections in my paint job if you look close enough too :oops: but you can barely notice.

I did paint black the front bow v-shaped rail that wraps around the toe rail because it was really worn down. I used a rust resistant metal paint from Home Depot.

Regards

Bryan
Guster

Post by Guster »

Brian,

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide what kind of paint to go with. I talked with interlux and pettit the last time I was at the boat show. The Interlux guys were not very helpful at all. In fact they seemed to be annoyed by me after they found out all I wanted to do was paint a 22ft sailboat. The Pettit guy on the other hand was amazing. He spent a good 3/4hr with me handing out free advice.

After I pick out what brand, then comes the hard decision.... What color?

Dan
70's Barnett Butterfly "Blue Jean"
1976 C-22
bryan

Post by bryan »

Dan, I'm really surprised that Interlux wouldn't be interested in selling you some of their paint!!! Sheesh! When I mentioned looking on Youtube.com for painting videos, I was referring to some Interlux topside painting vids that I saw out there - they seem so friendly in the vids and they were very helpful vids too. Oh and by the way, I think you asked if I painted the deck - no, I didn't, just the upper hull which is also considered the topside, from what I've read.

What color to paint it...I found a Interlux Brightside paint chart on the Internet for you here that might help if you haven't seen it before:
http://forums.aaca.org/attachments/f120 ... -paint.jpg

Ok, now I know you know the color is important...you gotta live with that color for a while, right?! What I did is take a photo of my boat and open it in Adobe Photoshop. I then painted the photo's hull whatever color I wanted to get an idea what it would look like. That REALLY helped to get a visual. I think Chrysler forum member j42goose did that too if you look at his boat photos.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need more info.

Bryan
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Brian,
That is an amazing restoration. You really brought one back from the dead!

Copacetic came from the Minneapolis area, Buffalo actually.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
bryan

Post by bryan »

Tom, thanks for the compliment - I remember you painted Copacetic a year ago or so, right? That helped to inspire me to also paint mine, just so you know. Good to hear that she also is from Minnesota too! I learned recently that Minnesota has the most boats per capita so maybe there are the most Chrysler boats up here in this neck of the woods. Capt. Bondo and I were out boating last weekend and he said he saw a C-22 docked nearby. Don't know if it is a forum member or not.

Regards,

Bryan
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
How did I miss this one????

NICE!

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Yea, Brian made this most excellent Chrysler into an even more excellent Chrysler. Updated his Avatar too I see to match the current state of affairs. :D

His boat started out almost as dirty as your new Lady Joe II did when you got it. :shock: Now both boats are all clean and itching to go sailing. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing