Replaced my outboards Impellar

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Replaced my outboards Impellar

Post by Bhacurly »

Last year I took my Honda 15 in for the change...

I bought the manual while there...

In my June picts after we left that flooded dock and headed into the wind to raise the main we porpoised the prop outta the water several times. We shut off the motor ASAP... But did notice the flow was way down out the motor an was worried the impeller took a hit. We made it into the slip ok but at idle had almost nothing coming out...

$15 for a new impeller and a day pulling the motor and taking apart the lower drive unit. It was actually pretty easy... But found an intact impeller.

I also found almost a dozen pieces from the impeller that went to pieces last year! 2 good size ones in the tube going up to the powerhead... Several more just hanging out in the water pump... I cleaned it all out and installed the new impeller an she just blasts water out of her now.

I'm thinking I need to let the only Honda service center in Spokane know what I found and that I'm not thrilled with the quality of there work... I mean really for almost $200 bucks you think they woulda done a more thorough job than that, an I wonder if I had paid them to fix it this time what they would have said???

I'm glad I spent the money for the manual and did the work myself tho! Were headed up Monday to put it back on the boat an then head over to our anchor spot for the 4th weekend an see what that looks like with the lake still high....

Let yall know how she does on the water....
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Hurray for the Good Guys, Billy!

Noted mine was NOT shooting water, dropped my lower end and discovered the impeller was sans fins! Chunks of rubber all over the system, I blew them out with compressed air before replacing the impeller.

Saving bucks doing it yourself--Knowing it's done right--It's a beautiful thing!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I did mine too, on a '63 Johnson 10hp. Surprisingly easy. I only had one vane and chunks left. Also surprised that the manual says to check the impeller " often, even anually". Maybe that's one reason they made it easy to get to.
Tranquil Chaos
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Man, and it's not like you didn't pay top dollar for that fix 2 years ago. I'm starting to wonder if taking stuff into a shop and paying through the nose for it is a good idea. I've been burned 2 separate times to separate vendors on shop work. At least on my own work stuff stays fixed and faster than when I took it in.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My old Chrysler Sailor 280 expired due to old impellar chunks clogging the water passages, coupled with my outboard inexperience.

Be sure to get em all out.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

tgentry wrote:My old Chrysler Sailor 280 expired due to old impellar chunks clogging the water passages, coupled with my outboard inexperience.

Be sure to get em all out.
But if I recall correctly its starter is living large down south on my big ole girl !!
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

She ran just fine :D

Not so sure about my usual 4th nite spot tho! If weather's calm maybe.... Lot of what we usually tie off too is under water.

We did have a nice sail too... Not 70 degrees like Capt Scott's sail but my forearms are pink!
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

Hmm... I have not had this done in a few years... I have the Suzuki 9.9... how tough (long-time wise) a job is this.. any special tools? I have the shop manual but when it said to remove the lower unit.. I kinda passed on the job for a while.....
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I'm a newb at this, but read that annual change is cheap insurance. I did mine for the cost of an impeller, about $12. Now that I know how, I'll do it regularly--NOT a difficult job on my Merc 9.8.

Timewise, now that I know how, I could do the job in 15 mins. When I actually did it this last time (my first), I tinkered around. Had to clear all the pieces of old impeller out of the system. Went ahead and drained, cleaned out and refilled lower end with gear oil since I'm sure that hadn't been done since someone responsible owned it. Awkward and slow, just because it was my first time, but all in all easy peasy!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Same here...

Total time was an hour going slow an careful. If it's been a while you may get an impeller kit that has a gasket also... An it is all metric...

The loss unit only five bolts. The manual tells how to remove the linkage to the prop for reverse an the rest was straight forward easy!
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

NYCSAILOR
I've done my 9.9 and 8 hp Suzukis. I got my parts from Browns Point Marine Services. brownspoint.com they have a good parts breakdown on line that gives you a good idea of what you need to do. they have a good stock of parts with quick delivery.

Clair
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

THANKS! I am in the water and the OB is too heavy to remove at this point .. so this will be Fall job..thanks!

BTW - anyone with a Suzuki DF9.9 can tell me how to LOCK the prop down in the tilt position in the water ..mine keeps jumpin' out of the water when I put it in reverse.... there is a latch int he senter under the hood but I can't seem to get it to stay latched.. any tricks? is that the right latch.. I don't have a Owners manual ( I know it would help a lot!)
C-26, Fixed Keel # 343