YES!!!!! Just pulled the sails out of the bag

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
John Stahl

YES!!!!! Just pulled the sails out of the bag

Post by John Stahl »

I bought my C26 last fall. the lake is finally getting full enough to launch the boat. so we pulled out the sales for the first time to make sure they are in good shape.

YES!!!! they look great. and we got a bonus too. one has C26 on it. I will proudly get to display to the world that i am sailing a Chrysler.

what is the 833 stand for??
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
This photo is how I found her
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Cool you have the C-26 on the sail in red white and blue right? Those would be OEM sails.

The 833 is your sail number which we have determined is randomly selected. This was in case you were in a race and it is a unique identifyer, to distinguish your sails/boat from the crowed.

See my avatar to the left you can see my number is 1470. Now I'm sure somewhere else in the world there is another boat with these same numbers but the odds are the two boats would never be in the same place at the same time.

Okay, now tell us the tail of the sailing trip. Where did you, what did you do, how glorious was it and Photos? Inquiring minds need to know. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

I have so much to learn yet
I have three jibs------at least i think they are jibs that the bag has them labeled as 80% to 110%
the 80% sail is much thicker so i think it is for stronger winds.
in what conditions are they to be uses for?
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

FWIW :lol:

an keeping it simple,,, more wind, less sail...your right the thicker 80% is for stronger winds,,, the lighter 110% would be lighter winds...

If your just getting started an not sure, start small and go big later if you feel comfortable,,, an if you need the 80 you maybe should be putting a reef in the main also,,, or reef the main and try the 100%... it gets to be a feel for the forecast and what the winds are doing and how much the boat is listing, how scared your crew or you are getting...

Say winds winds are light, at 3-8, a full main and the 110 or larger if you get a Genoa later...

winds 10-15 maybe the main and the 110 or 100...

winds 15-20 a reef in the main and the 100 or 80

winds 20-25+ just the reefed main, an a storm jib if ya get one later...

That should keeep things comfortable.... Others here should chime in as I'm just saying what I generally do an they may have a different set... I may do things different with my new main butt....

A lot will have to do with the comfort level and skill of you and your crew,,, how your boat handles and your ability to trim all the gizmos that affect sail shape... really you don't want to be in over your head when you decide you have to much sail up,,, so better to start smaller and go up then the other way 'round...

My rigger was telling me of a guy that went out not long ago in strong winds with gusts also, and put up a full main and genoa,,, he was listing way too far over and then shredded his genoa,,, dropped all sail and went home... so just cuz others are out with lotsa sail doesn't mean you should be!
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Bhacurly

I'm sure John and others like myself appreciate your little run down on winds and what sails to use, my C26 project came with only two old original sails... now I'll know better what to look for in the way of sails in the future. Thanks again.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

Thank you very much that helps allot
i have a Genoa too.
From my reading i think i will have an instructor help deploy it the first time.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Good advice and on my 26 quite often in strong winds I will use my roller furling and reduce to the size of a storm jib and no main especially on a down wind run.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My sail number is 666 right from the factory. I would have thought they would skip that one, but there it is.

On some boats the sail number matches the last 3 or 4 digits of the hull number, but apparently on Chryslers it was just whatever sail they grabbed.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com