New Member with a question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
BC

New Member with a question

Post by BC »

Hello After a month of lurking I thought I'd come out and ask a few questions.
I have an eighty-one C 22 as a "get it out of here" deal PO didn't want to pay anymore dockage. I was happy to oblige.

A question: the hatches I see on some of the pictures appear to have some teak across the topside of the hatch covers, is that some thing that was normal?? I do not have any on mine but am thinking of adding some for trim.
Any info appreciated. BC
back2class

Post by back2class »

No, it is just brown fiberglass with no gelocat over it. It is to let light shine through those brown areas. Works ok. On my boat one strip is like new and the rest are kind of weathwered and dried out looking. He said he renewed that one by applying Purple Power cleaner to it and letting it sit. Guess it disolved the oxidation. Looks nice.
c-22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

BC welcome aboard.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

Purple Power? The degreaser? I wonder if any degreaser would work similarly. Do you remember if he only used it on the outside? Or inside too? Mine really look like garbage, and I'd love to get them looking cleaner and letting in even light.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Member with a question

Post by Dallasbob »

BC wrote:A question: the hatches I see on some of the pictures appear to have some teak across the topside of the hatch covers, is that some thing that was normal??
My C26 has the teak strips on the hatches original to the boat. one of my favorite things about her. It also makes makes a great non skid surface.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome BC!

I don't have any teak up there... I have the "sunlight" version,,, but maybe picts would clarify things for the group.

Billy
back2class

Post by back2class »

Tommy Monaco wrote:Purple Power? The degreaser? I wonder if any degreaser would work similarly. Do you remember if he only used it on the outside? Or inside too? Mine really look like garbage, and I'd love to get them looking cleaner and letting in even light.
yeah, purple powe the degreaser is what he said he used. Said it sort sat on it for a while, turned a bit yellow and then he scrubbed it off. I guess it must have stripped any oxidation off as well as a bit if the resin. I will try and get a pic to post.
c-22
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
BC

Hatch's

Post by BC »

Thanks for the input

My sliding hatch cover is a solid fiberglass that is starting to de=laminate, and I lost the forward hatch will moving the boat home.
So I need to do something for the forward hatch. A little teak trim would be a nice touch. Just a little - not to much.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks to the PO of the 1980 C26 I'm overhauling the hatches came adorned with a fair amount of woodwork. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome aboard BC, glade to have you on the Chrysler crew.

Your first posting and you taught me 2 things. I never new of any teak strips on the hatches and I thought the last Chrysler sailboat was made in 1980. Good stuff, thanks.

Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Very nice, Terrence!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Tommy Monaco

Post by Tommy Monaco »

I like that bimini retclt. I'm in a constant internal debate about teak. Any exterior wood on a boat is just that much more work to clean or varnish... but, gosh it just looks so dang pretty.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Thanks Tommy . . . in Texas it's bimini . . . or die. Besides, it keep the margaritas colder longer.
Bob T . . .