On the water at last

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jmckamey

On the water at last

Post by Jmckamey »

The first mate and I got the 22 out yesterday for her first splash. Was a blue sky day and winds were 10-15. We saw 5.9 mph on the hand held gps on a broad reach. The only thing I forgot was the camera. Jeff came out to greet us on Windward and it was great to meet him. Will be going back to the lake today to get some more tiller time and this time I have the camera in the to go bag.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Now all you have to do is get an "after" photo to replace the derelict in your avatar.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Jmckamey

Great to hear there is another Chrysler sailing Watauga Lake.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Windward

Post by Windward »

I was returning from dropping a buddy off for a backpacking trip and saw an unfamiliar C26 motoring out past the buoy line. Dashed down, fired up Windward's auxiliary and set course for intercept.

For a while it was hard to say if Jeff and his wife were having fun, because their smiles were too big for them to speak clearly. Jeff's looking calmly assured and pretty darn happy here.

This smile was so big, I was afraid her face would actually crack

I love this one

Second phase of the mission: accomplished!

A few more pics of the historic event at
http://s1130.photobucket.com/albums/m52 ... %20Voyage/
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Great to see boats on the water can't be too long for us here.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

:D :D The re-birth of a Chrysler 22 is a good thing :D :D
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sweet !!
FranS

Post by FranS »

Well done, great pics... one suggestion, pull in the fenders ;-)
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Brings a tear and smile to my face. Congratulations Jmckamey a job well done and I hope the first of many, many , many more outings.

Thanks for the photos Jeff. What a beautiful day, what beautiful photos, what a beautiful boat. It's going to take quite a while for those smiles to wear off I think. :D

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Traveler
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Traveler »

Fantastic!!!! It is always a sweet sight to see a Chrysler in the
water and not on a trailer.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

That's a beautiful set of pics to record the "maiden" voyage! Thanks for sharing with the rest of us! Very cool!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Yes, I agree, the fenders hanging look very unship-shape. :lol:
1977 Chrysler 22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sweeeeeet!

Congratulations! Glad to see another Chrysler on the water!
Love the smiles!
Makes me smile too!

Scott
skyking

Post by skyking »

Great pictures..Congrats on your maiden voyage.. :D :D
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Great pics and great smiles and I think we almost enjoyed the maiden voyage as much as you. "Congrats"
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
excavman

Post by excavman »

Your boat is a real beauty Jeff, sleek and proud. Congrats.

Larry
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

JmcKamey looking at your pictures again the one from starboard it looks like the rudder is not all the way down. Not a problem on a day like that but get in some strong wind or get going down wind at hull speed and use both hands on the rudder.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Lyle- I noticed that as well, but didn't recognize it as an issue. And I still don't.

Could you or others explain what's what?? (Total noob, I know!)

Thanks much!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Wow, I must be going blind. I don't see hide nor hair of the rudder in any of the photos.

I always lock my rudder strait down, unless in the sallows and my keel is up too. I cant bring it all the way up with my motor down or my rudder hits the motors foot.

I want my rudder strait down because if I'm healed over in a good blow my rudder will not come out of the water, should I take a bit of a nose down, aft up, over some swell or white cap. When I'm washing the windows healed over at about 25% I've got a lot of the underside of my boat way above the water line. The rudder being right in the center of the boat, now much closer to the surface could come popping out of the water if it were not strait down and I will round up in a most ugly way. Possibly, likely hurting my crew, myself and or my boat.

When I was learning to sail in a dingy many years ago and Rounded Up for the first time. Man it still makes my heart jump. You basically turn suddenly 90 degrees into the wind and tip the boat over down wind.

Like Bill Cosby said once in his comedy bit about a car crash after his mom said you need clean underwear if your ever in a car crash and taken to the hospital. He said, first you say it... then you do it... and then you need to change your underwear because of it. So always keep your clean underwear in the car glove box for after the car crash so you will have clean underwear when your taken to the hospital. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Third pic from bottom if you look in the water you can see the shape and position of the rudder from the sun on the water on the water. Where this could get bad in a good blow or going fast it makes the rudder blade act like it is larger and will put more stress on the rudder post and bearings. As an example take a 1X12 3' or 4' long and put it straight in the water and turn it you will notice little resistance if you put it in the water horizontal and try the same you will get much more and you can try the same thing with your boat with the rudder up will act similar to a sculling oar as you move the tiller the rudder pushes on the water you can steer but it requires considerably more force on the tiller straight down rudder does not push water and much less force required on tiller and less stress on rudder post. I had this issue last year I was close hauled on a starboard tack and in order to come about I had to ease the jib and I dropped the sails and took care of it the got back to sailing I guess the school of hard knocks still works. Sorry for the rambling.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I think you are seeing a relflection of the hull stripe on the water, now Watauga lake is a beautifull, clean and clear lake but, I don't think it is that clear. I know the rudder was all the way down and cleated in place because I could see it at the dock prior to setting out. I know exactly what you are talking about in reguards to the rudder swinging up as my Macgreggor had a transom hung rudder and it always worked its way up. The set up did not allow for enough leverage to hold the botton rudder half in place well. That thing would get very heavy in a strong wind with the boat well heeled.
As a matter of fact, the cleating of the rudder laynard to the tiller is one of the things that bugs me the most about the boat. With the rudder cleated tightly to the tiller I can't lift the tiller easly when I stand up to steer, and I like to stand.
1977 Chrysler 22
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ahh, it's about leverage lecker68. Yup, I did not even think about that. I've been on some mean 25% healed over hair on fire sailing moments and I would have snapped my rudder off big time with the weather helm I've had at those pressures if my rudder had been horizontal. :shock:

(Click to Enlarge Photo) One of my sons friends at the helm with his dad sitting next to him. His first time at the helm, and he is hooked for life. He's always asking to go along now too.
That's weather helm he's fighting there going in a strait line in the water at a good 6 knots. If the rudder had been horizontal instead of vertical. I bet I would have lost the rudder.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I learned the hard way and this is the first boat I have had with a swing or kick up rudder and it is not fun when you have full sail and you lose that blade in the water. when the pintle broke on the Newport I grabbed the paddle and used it as a rudder as best I could to get her closer to launch ramp then how do you get her into the wind to drop the sails? I released the jib sheet and let it blow as big as the main was on that boat weather brought me into the wind and I got the jib down and sailed to the dock and the way the wind was almost straight off the end of the dock I shot for the end of the dock and came around the end and took main down after tied to dock.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway