How to get rid of the stowaways that came with our boat?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeyWest

How to get rid of the stowaways that came with our boat?

Post by KeyWest »

When we got our boat last year we were dismayed to find there were tiny black or brown ants that came with it. I see one at a time usually, and usually in the cockpit. I am baffled how ants could get into a boat that was sitting in saltwater and survive there. Where could their nest be? There's never a swarm. They never came out of the woodwork when I had a plate of food sitting out, like you see at a picnic. I tried bombing the boat with insecticide shortly after we got it but it had no effect.

Since there were so few of them I never worried about it too much, but I do want to get rid of them once and for all. Does anyone have any advice?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

KeyWest

Use a type of slow poison the workers will eat and take back to their Queen... finding the nest itself maybe impossible.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Papax3

Post by Papax3 »

Very difficult problem to be sure.
Follow their trails as possible, and see if they have engineered a place inside the inner-liners honeycomb construction. I had a difficult situation in a house (similar), and I followed the trail to a 1/8th inch hole... I enlarged the hole, and found Raid Ant spray with a long "staw-type" spray nozzle. I placed the nozzle in the hole, and let loose multiple times, then immediately covered the hole with caulking. They never came back. My thoughts are that they must be hidden for the bomb not to work. There's plenty of room between the hull and the innerliner, but the bomb most likely would have worked there.
Far more dangerous is liquid arsenic... they like the sweet taste, and take it back to the hive... but there are safer products now. A critical need for all colonizing insects is water. They have clearly found a source in the walls of you boat. Another reason I think that you'll either find them in the inner-liner walls, or in the compartments where the foam is.
I found a 5 gallon bucket-load of dirt-dobber nests when I cleaned out my boat. Might try getting someone to shine a light down the "bow hole" inside the cockpit, and then see if you can use a mirror to find trails by looking toward the light from different access spots. If your boat is holding slight amounts of water at the bottom of the hull where the keel-pin port/access is...... poison that water.

Hope that gets you thinkin'
Bill
We're just about finished with refurbishing our Chrysler 22, she's slipped, and ready for fun!

Lake Quachita, HotSprings Arkansas
Bill Williams
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

What's the inner liner? The space under the cockpit is just bare fiberglass. I find them mostly in the cockpit. Maybe they're in that space next to the hole in the transom. I did try to clean it with a waterhose.
monty

Post by monty »

You won't find any foam in the 26.
Hondas are easy to work on, I tore down an 8h.p. I used to have to replace the rings. The only problem is with some of the bolts they use - salt eats them up bad! Too bad someone like Honda would use such low quality bolts!
The thermostat on mine was trashed (from salt) and wouldn't close so the engine ran cold resulting in excessive ring wear.
Might as well tear it down and see what you've got - after staying immersed in salt it might not be much!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Put the boat on a trailer and drag up here to visit me. Stay one week and I guarantee there will be no live ants left on your boat. :lol:
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I would spray a poison liberaly in the lazzarette in the port cockpit setee and at stern where you put the fuel tank if you are seeing them in cockpit only.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

KeyWest wrote:What's the inner liner? The space under the cockpit is just bare fiberglass. I find them mostly in the cockpit. Maybe they're in that space next to the hole in the transom. I did try to clean it with a waterhose.
Hi KeyWest,

The liner is the inner shell of your boat. The hull is one fiberglass shell and sitting inside of it the the inner fiberglass shell or liner. This gives you that nice shinny inner finish to your interior cabin. Now between the hull and the liner is a honeycomb cardboard like material... Okay I think it is cardboard, and it is the spacer to give rigidity to both the liner to hull to decking.

I believe the speculation is that your little ant stow aways are between the hull and the liner. So I'm thinking the slow poison that the workers can haul back to the nest is what you want. You will not be able to get to the nest without literally cutting up your boat. No cutting at all advised.

That should take care of your ant stow aways who thought they would go see the watery part of the world for a while. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

We used terro ant killer, both in the house and on the boat.
http://www.shopping.com/Terro-TERRO-Liq ... Terro/info
Only need to put it out once and are are usally all gone in a week.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place