Tombigbee Waterway

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
excavman

Tombigbee Waterway

Post by excavman »

I would like to know if there is anybody in this forum who has made the run up the Tombigbee. Is there a charge for going through the locks, I know there's a bunch to go through. I am thinking about doing the run up to Kentucky Lake from Mobile this spring. I will probably be going single handed if I can't talk somebody into going along.
Another thing while I'm asking, what is a good ways to restore the gloss to the paint on the hull, it's kinda a faded mottled shade of powder blue?
Larry
1977 C22 "Sally Ann"
excavman

Post by excavman »

Gee, it seems kinda foolish to answer my own question but at least this way everybody who's interested will know.

There is no charge for either commercial or pleasure craft to transit the locks on the Tombigbee. The web site is: www.tenntom.org and it is some very interesting reading.

Wouldn't it be a great spring cruise to leave Mobile in March and take time to sail up to the Tennessee River and turn right going all the way to Chattanooga. Then, ride the steam train for a day then go back down river all the way to Kentucky Lake. That should take about two months and be finished up before the bugs get too bad. If a guy was real ambitous he could run back down the Ohio/Mississippi to the gulf and start the trip all over again just in case you missed something the first time. Don't look at me in that tone of voice -----I'M RETIRED ---- a slight touch of cabin fever right now, too.

Larry
monty

Post by monty »

hey, sign me up! the tenntom figures into my future plans which consist of putting in near Mpls. in Sept., mississippi to tenntom to Mobile and onto Pensacola. As winter closes in move south and occupy a hammock in the keys for a couple of months. Put the boat up for summer, back in the fall and make the jump to Bimini then Bahamas for the next winter - ain't retirement great????
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
excavman

Post by excavman »

Hi Monty,

You're only 1875 miles from Mobile, dig your boat out of the snow and come on down. If you want to come the rest of the way down to south Texas where I am we can start at the mex border and run up the ICW to Mobile then up the Tom-Tenn to the Ohio, over to a up the Mississippi to the Illinois at St Louis then up to Lake Michigan at Chicago and from there up through the lakes to the Canadian shores of Lake Superior. We'd get there just in time to turn around and head back before winter.

I wonder if anybody ever did that trip? I sure would like to hear about it if they did.

Larry