New guy here with a 22.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
back2class

New guy here with a 22.

Post by back2class »

Just put a deposit on a 22. Grew up on the shores of Long Island Sound and now live 600 miles from the ocean. I never expected it to be something would miss so much, but I feel traped in a strange sort of way being far from the shore. So to perhaps alleviate some of the longing, a few months ago I decided to return to sailing and owning a sailboat larger than a dink. I am lucky that I live a few hundred feet from a 5,000 acre lake and a launch ramp is only 1/8 mile from my house. Sadly, there are power lines at the ramp, so I will have to de-mast. I was looking for something in the 30ft range when I started as my last boat was a Newport 30. Found some great ready to go setups for close to $2,000! I was shocked how inexpensive sailboats in that size have become in the past 10 years. But reality set in, a boat the size would be more about the boat and less about the sailing, as I would have to keep it at a larger lake 2 hours away. So the hunt began for a boat I could trailer and use in my own backyard that still felt like a real boat. Picked up this pretty clean 22. Came ready to sail, with 3 sails and a pretty good outboard for $1,300. I have a trailer that will work with some welding.

The Boat itself is mid 70's and in good, but not babied condition. Has some leaky windows and one small sligthtly soft spot I found at a stantion base. I have not had a chance to see the underside as it is in the water. Plan is to rebed the hardware, paint her pretty and make sure that keel is in good shape before re-launch.

Thanks to this site I felt OK pulling the trigger on this deal. The boat only has 1 issue that gave me pause. The cabin floor has some heavy gel coat cracks at the center keel rib/hump right where you step into the cablin. It is right where the "hump" drops. Looks to me like someone may have droped it on the keel and the rear of the keel pushed up and flexed the hull enough to crack the gelcoat on the cabin sole right at that right angel jog. Worst case I have a day of fiberglass work so not too woried. Hope it did not crack the outer hull and it is nothing. Is this stress crack common, or do i need to start cutting the cabin floor to see what the hul looks like from the inside?

Thanks
c-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome aboard,

It sounds like the inner liner is what is damaged and it is "seperate" from the outer hull. Someone may have dropped something on it from the inside but once you get it out of the water you'll be able to check the outer hull for any possible problem better.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Welcome aboard! Since you've been with us for awhile, let me be the first to say we are looking forward to the pics!

Where abouts are you from? Where's that 5000 acre lake?

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard mate and as you know we are a tightly focused group(thanks EE sounds better than obsessed).
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I ditto all the other people: welcome, welcome, welcome. Glad to have another C-22 being readied for spring!
Tranquil Chaos
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome aboard ship mate,

Another C-22 joins the fleet. That is fantastic!

Sounds like a nice boat. Post us some pictures of your crack in the fiberglass in the cabin please. I would like to see that as I'm sure several others here would too. I've not seen that damage on a C-22 before. Hope it's an easy repair. Oh yea we'll be wanting step by step photo's of the repair too. :wink: We like lots of photos, a thousand words and all with a photo. Though I have been known to add a thousand words here and there on almost a 1000 now posts.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

welcome aboard...nothing but good info and ideas on this forum. my boat also has some cracks in the gel coat of the cabin...i am hoping they are just cosmetic and not structural. i will have to wait until spring to find out.
kevin
get n lost
John K

Post by John K »

My cabin liner has a few cracks as well, and some blisters. Out of concern, I did a little bit of research and found that it is common on older boats, and that it is likely caused by a flame retardant resin that was used in the 70's. I believe them to be superficial blemishes, and am no longer concerned. If it were on the hull and below the water line, I would probably pay closer attention.
1977 C22: Dog House
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard!
I also have a crack like you described on my inner liner. Since the there is no crack issues to the hull I'm assuming that the crack in the inner liner was caused by ice expansion when a PO did not remove all the water before winter storage.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Ice....frozen.....never crossed my mind.....must be a northern thing :D

Which brings a certain YouTube video to mind..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5umQeB0 ... r_embedded
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

13 degree high today, but that video makes me go BRRRRR!
Mark
FranS

Post by FranS »

The guys in that video iare just stupid
back2class

Post by back2class »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Welcome aboard!
I also have a crack like you described on my inner liner. Since the there is no crack issues to the hull I'm assuming that the crack in the inner liner was caused by ice expansion when a PO did not remove all the water before winter storage.
We will have to compare cracks once I get it here and take some pics. I would love to not have to rip that area of the sole apart to do a check.. I know the PO said when he purchased it that it had some water in the cabin and we do get freezing temps here sometimes, so that is possible. I think I will visualy inspect the hull on the trailer and then jack it up a little in that area from under the hull to to see how it deflects. I think any hidden damage in the hull will show up that way.

Thanks again for the very warm welcome everyone!
c-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
Glad to see ya here and already getting answers to questions!
Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

mcrandall wrote:13 degree high today, but that video makes me go BRRRRR!
I agree with Mark when I left for work at 4 AM -12 definitely not sailing weather.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

If I looked out and saw that it wouldn't be time to go sailing, it would be time to start packing. Then head South untill there was a very real danger of running into a palm tree.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

If you think the sailing video looked cold check this out :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qg4gKXb ... re=related
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

My brother-in-law used to saw a hole in the ice so he and his buddies could go scuba diving. Yeah, he had a dry suit on, but he said that where the water touched skin--on face around mask--you get an instant ice-cream head-ache.

I love to scuba dive, but geez!

But then, I HAVE gone kayaking on a river surrounded by snow, and got wet--from the chest down. Kinda takes your breath away. Not to mention stress test on the ol' tiicker!
Mark
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Don't have to worry about any shark attacks................................
excavman

Post by excavman »

Have you ever gone "glacier-yaking"? That's where you put your kayak in on a glacier and slide down hill til you reach the water.
Larry
back2class

Post by back2class »

Made it home safely. Tough only a 60 mile trip home, it was over some of the most intense mountain roads in the east. Yes, these are roads where they film car ads. Was quite horrified to realize when I got home there was 200lbs. of neg. tounge weight. My error, as it felt good, but was in fact so tight I mistaked it for positive weight and was lifting the SUV. The 4 pads I rigged are ok for transport, but deflect the hull a tiny bit in the back. It may be better when the boat is centered better.
c-22
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Nice boat! Congrats on your trip home!

Maybe you want to build some bunks on that trailer to spread out some of the weight load and avoid deflecting the hull.

Here's a shot of my trailer:

Good luck with your new Baby!

Cheers!
Mark
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Another diamond in the rough! Welcome.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
back2class

Post by back2class »

Thanks everyone. More pics for y'all.
God news is with the keel down on the axle and boat better centered, there is barely any deflection from the pads. I will add a keel roller just forward of the drop keel and perhaps just jack up the transom for long term storage.
Other good news is it came with 5 foresails! Thought there were only 2. Perhaps some of you can help ID what I got?? I opened all the bags to inspect and found the extras. I tought for sure I had a spinnaker, but no. There is a small pole I thought was for it, so I assumed that was on the second bag. Biggest is a big genoa and the smallest is what I think is a tiny storm jib that is maybe 10' long. One has a small red arrow on it.
c-22
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Depending on the weight of the sail cloth the big genoa could be what they use to call a drifter. Don't know if that term is still used. At any rate you can still use the whisker on a down wind to keep the genoa to one side. Makes it easer to sail wing to wing, main on one side and the genoa on the other. I have seen lots of storm jibs with red markings.
I like your trailer, If it were mine I would install two long bunks made from treated 2"x 6"x10' and drop them as far down as I could, just enough for the keel to clear the frame when supported by the keel wench. That would make it easer to launch and recover plus get all that weight lower for cruising down the road. Just thinking out loud :D
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Windward

Post by Windward »

Thought I'd already posted a "Welcome aboard," but obviously not. So welcome aboard, sailor! If you enjoy your Chrysler as much as everyone here seems to enjoy theirs, you'll be a very happy sailor indeed.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Back2class,

Good solid looking boat you have there. Lots of photo's that's what I'm talk-en about! Keep taking photos as you go. You will want these photos even more in a few months once your boat is a shiny, refit and new looking C-22. I took a bunch of photo's up front and it was not nearly enough photos looking back at the photos I do have. I needed at least 2 times as many and I have all too few photo's of things taken apart when I was working on them. The last year and a half I'm doing much better on the photos but still room to improve.

Keep us up to speed on you new baby. The rest of us Chrysler Mom's and Dad's are always interested in whats going on with all the boats.

Hey also, put blocks or jack stands fore and aft of you tires on your boat trailer when your working on it. This keeps things stable when your on board working on stuff. If your moving around on board while on the trailer without the blocks you can and will tip back and forth on the wheels pivot point like a big terrifying teeter toter. Another lesson learned from Captain Scott before I did myself or my precious boat any harm. I have 2 jack stands forward and cinder blocks shimmed with wood aft till it all sits snug. It's way more stable moving around on top of the boat then it was before securing the trailer. Much less exciting. :shock:

Here's the photo's of my supports...

(Double Click to enlarge photo)

(Double Click to enlarge photo)

You know, looking at that second photo of the rear cinder-block. That is Captain Scotts (a.k.a. 69shark) Cinder-Block too. He put that there when he told me to block up my trailer frame as well as chalks under the wheels. I tell you that guy just keeps doing good deed after good deed. Hmmm, he must have been the son of a very proud Chrysler Sailboat dealer dad!

I tell you what, if I lived in North Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, New York, Michigan, Tennessee, Texas, California, or you name the state or Canada. I'd find maybe not Captain Scott exactly but another Chrysler owner that would lend a brother or sister sailor a hand. I don't Spam!!!!!!!! but I'd bet big money on it as it's not a bet when you know 100% for a fact, it's true. So let folks know where you are, you must be in range of a Chrysler sailor wanting to lend a hand. I know I am.

So post your questions, post your photos, post your thoughts and your adventures because we all care and we want to know.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
back2class

Post by back2class »

I had thought about putting skids on the trailer insted of the 4 pads. I decided to use 4 pads because I knew the boat would center on them, as I was setting up the trailer blind except for some info here. The reason I am highly considering keeping them, though not ideal, is beause it keeps the trailer universal for most 15-24' boats I may want to drag home. That also means keeping the taller posts tall. I should add I live 600 yards from the launch ramp that I hope to only have to use twice a year. Now if I was going to keep her on the hard most of the time or start to travel with her, then the welder and saw will come out right quick. I still need to add a keel roller and extend the bow stop post.

Now that I have had a chance to look her over I am pleased. Has not been abused. Only deck softness is two stantion bases and it is minor. Just slightly soft an inch or so out. I am a tiny bit concerned that there are a few gel coat cracks around the mast base. Anyone have these? Figure i will drill a few holes and see what comes out. Looks to be only gelcaot, though i have my fingers crossed.

Other issues are the crack in the liner that I mentioned earlier, though seems like it is from ice as anothe poster noted. The table post is rotted and rusted, some leaks around the windows or rails (not sure).

Plan right now is to remove and re-bed all the deck hardware. Topside gelcoat is good and just needs clean and buffing. Clean up the cabin, fix the table, and I am about 90% sure I will re-paint the hull. The hull for some reason has been painted at some point. Nicely sprayed I may add. However the paint is chaulky and it has some scratches on the port side. I also feel this design looks better with a colored hull. I also plan to service the keel bracket as it seems like 35 year old sealant. Some new running rigging lines and the boat will be as good as new as far as I am concerned.
c-22