Sailing Training

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sailing Training

Post by mcrandall »

Hey Guys!

If you'll recall, I just bought this, my first sailboat this fall and am in the process of refurbishing/repairing it. I don't know squat about sailing but plan on lessons this spring. Until then, I'm whiling away the cold winter nights by doing some reading on the subject. This blog is my first read each evening and then to the books, if I have time.

One book is Don Casey's "Sailboat Maintenance Manual" which I find both easy to understand and very helpful. A healthy second to this blog, that book helps with my refurbish/repair sweet tooth. But sailing itself is still a mystery.

I picked up "Sailing : The Basics" by Dave Franzel. This book has opened my eyes to just how much I'm going to need to learn. In fact, almost intimidatingly so.

I want to keep soaking up knowledge until the water softens up and the fishermen quit walking all over it. Any suggestions for a reading list that'll help prepair me to take full advantage of those lessons this spring?

Thanks to you all!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Mark

To tell the truth as far as sailing goes we are both in the same boat. There is still a lot of work needed on my C26 before she goes back into the water so you may be sailing before I am. :evil:

As far as books go check out The Sail Trim Users Guide by Don Guillette... a lot of good information there. If you like multimedia check out www.learntosail.net vol one and two, simple animation but still a gold mine of information... yes I have all the above. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that is new to sailing. Last summer I had 4 days of sailing instruction. I feel I now know enough to be down right dangerous on the water. What I found during my instruction is working the rigging prier to sailing is the hardest part. After the sails are up sailing is a breeze. Pun intended.
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
This photo is how I found her
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

This site might be helpful. They have videos online showing the basics.http://www.sailingtexas.com/
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
skyking

Post by skyking »

"Invitation to Sailing" by Alan Brown is one of my favorites..

Its a complete illistrated guide to small boat sailing that takes you from the first day, out to racing in regattas...

One thing that I know is that you can never know enough when it comes to sailing...the more I learn the more I want to learn...
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

A lot of good clips on you tube for sailing lessons. Just remember, the only rule in sailing is... you can't sail directly into the wind. Other than that there's nothing to it. A good book to pick up and keep on the boat is " Sailing and Seamanship" It covers all the basics from tuning to navigating. I bought it when my wife a I attended a Coast Guard Aux. class on sailing. I'll have to provide you with the publisher later as I don't have the book in front of me.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Either Coast Guard Auxiliary or the United States Power and Sail Squadron are great places for classes. A great informational book is Chapman's. Or if you are searching Amazon, "Chapman Piloting Seamanship and Boat Handling". This is a great information source on almost ALL aspects of boating. It is more like a study book than an evening read book.

Welcome to sailing!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sailing Fundamentals by Gary Jobson is a good read as well with test questions at each chapter's end..
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Mark:

I am by no means an expert but I have sailed for several years. (took about 20 years off to raise children). I was lucky to have a good friend that taught me how to sail. We do not live that far apart and I have two boats if you would like to come down some weekend in the spring I would be happy to work with you. We generally have a earlier spring here than you get in Muskegon and you could get a jump on your season. We can get started here in mid April. I write this as it is about 10 degrees outside but spring will come.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

My buddy had a couple lessons on his boat, which I think is great. He was able to see how to trim the sails in ways he hadn't thought. Take up any offers to have someone come sail with you that know how to sail.

I like reading and learning theory, but I personally need that hands on and repetition to get it sorted out. Oh! And then I have to relearn stuff at the start of the next season before I feel smooth again, drives me nuts!

Your rigging may be different than what you read or see on basic learn to sail video, so keep looking at all of it. The C-22 is my first boat that had a boom vang and a travellor, and reefs in the main! It was cool to have things to tweek when on the water and I felt like a big boy with my new toys!
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

The more people you sail with, your boat or theirs, the more of the many many ways to skin a cat you will be exposed to. There are always little things to learn and different ways of getting to the same result. The best way is quite often different from boat to boat. The main thing is you get to go sailing while you learn.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Mark I did find a way to get the fishermen to stop walking on the water recently. All you do is go real close and real fast with and ice boat. First pass they give the 1 finger salute and next pass on the return they see right down the center beam and when they scatter I turn away with a blade in the air. We only usually have 2 or three good days but when the wind is down the creek in either direction I tack on the first pass and they think I am having trouble but when you can lift a blade you can go up to 5X the wind.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I found that even here in land locked, high altitude smallish lake Colorado there are racing clubs. Go to the docks on a saturday and they are always looking for crew members - even if it's just for ballast. A great way to learn accompanied with the enjoyment of meeting other sailboat fanatics. Your local sailboat shops know where these clubs are as well.
Tranquil Chaos
mariner

Post by mariner »

as dumb as it sounds the "sailing for dummies" book is very good, I think I have two copies, for a small fee or beer, I may be persuaded to ship one out , PM me.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

NETFLEX has sailing videos.
I have them in my que to view while the water is still hard.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

You guys are the absolute best! Wow, what a bunch of great suggestions!

Terrence-I ordered the CDs, I like that kind of stuff!
Brian-I might just take you up on your very kind offer. It's you and the many others like you that are the salt of this site, representing the fellowship that so many of you relish in helping each other. Just the best!
Mariner-Sailing for Dummies was the first gift my buddy gave me this summer after I bought the boat. Forgot to mention it on my original post, but Dude, thanks so much for the offer!
Capt Bondo-I love Netflix! Those sailing instruction vids have been well watched in this house!
Paul-We have races on our Muskegon Lake twice a week in the summer. Guys at the marina and yacht club recommended the same saying there's always somebody looking for "rail meat." Another great suggestion!
Bhacurly-The main marina here offers lessons on your own boat, if you wish. I would think that's about the best way to go so you don't loose much in trying to translate things from "their boat" to yours. I share your learning "challenges". I'm gonna have to hook up tight with somebody who not only knows what they're doing, but isn't opposed to showing a guy how, and more than once. Might be a tall order!
Scott-I took the publicly offered Boater's Safety Course from the local USPSS this past fall and got to know some of the folks(members). Seems they're cut from the same bolt of cloth as the folks on this site. Good folks! I'm hooked up with the membership commitee....

All the books, I'm going to check into them. Just can't thank you all enough for sharing your thoughts on the subject! Really good stuff!

Cheers!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
sharps4590

Post by sharps4590 »

I'm pretty new at this game also. The two I use and refer to the most I don't believe I saw listed. They are "The Complete Sailor" by David Seidman and "The Annapolis Book of Seamanship". When I started I was confused by the sheer number of books out there and bought those two on recommendations from experienced sailors. I've since acquired some others but those two are my favorites.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing