chrysler 26 electric winch for swing keel

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
caz

chrysler 26 electric winch for swing keel

Post by caz »

I'm new to this site and I apologize if this subject has been covered, but, have any of you considered, or know of anyone that replaced the keel winch with an electric winch?
Caz
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Can't say I've heard this point brought up before and being one of the lesser stars in this universe of Chrysler knowledge... I'll leave the discussion on the matter to those who actually know what they are talking about. However this being your first post welcome to the forum and as always... photos please. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
John Stahl

Post by John Stahl »

I have never thought about using an electric wench. You may have a size problem, what would you do if you had no power or it broke down? Could you hand crank it if you need to? It would be nice to get rid of the handle in the cabin the control could be in the cockpit. I like the idea.
There is no right way to do the wrong thing.
"Puffen" 1978 C-26
This photo is how I found her
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I love the idea however am a firm believer in "keep it simple" concept.
It will be interesting to see if anyone has done it and how they did it!

Scott
Windward

Post by Windward »

I'm pretty sure that most PHRF racing rules prohibit them, but that's not likely the concern. The Seaward 32, and I think the newest model 25, use an electric winch to lift the keel vertically. It certainly would be convenient to be able to adjust draft, or helm balance, from the cockpit. One critical issue is how to know when the keel's all the way up, or down. You'd not want the winch to keep cranking when the keel's all the way up, or unspool the cable. While hand cranking the winch it's easy to tell when it's all up or fully unloaded.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Also I think the South Coast 26 had an electric winch that raised and lowered a fin keel with a bulb.

Rigging a limit switch would be the trick, you might could use a current sensing device to stop the raising of the keel, once the winch strains a bit after the keel is up the limiter would cut off. Not sure what would work when lowering the keel to full extention.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello, and welcome. I too have given some thought to an electric winch in my c22. She has a great mounting location pretty much built in. A good qualty 2000lb winch can be had for not much more than around $50.00. I think the run time/ travel issue could be overcome by use of a couple of limit swithces or as simple as a marking the cable. Either way, watching the action I think would be a must. As stated before, the real concern would be a practical manual back up system.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
caz

electric keel winch

Post by caz »

I also believe in the "kiss" school of thought, especially on a sailboat. Do they make an electric winch with a manual crank that can be put on if needed and removed? I use my keel alot to feel my way through some of the skinny water on the ICW, especially in Georgia where the ditch is not very well marked.
Caz
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Caz

As a side note if feeling your way through skinny water on the ICW is getting to be a bother, check around your neck of the woods for a good size lake. A change up for a time want hurt. If your plans bring you close to Wilmington on the ICW at any time let me know.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

The PO installed a electric winch on Happy Place, and I like it.
I have wondered about what to do if I had power or winch issues, and I figured I would need to handle it the same as if the cable broke.
I have the cable marked every foot so I know the position of the keel.
Lowering the keel is easy because the sound of winch will change when it's unloaded.
Rasing you need to pay attention to the markers on the cable, or you could cause some real damage to the keel pocket, floor when the winch is mounted. :shock:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
caz

electric keel winch

Post by caz »

Terrence
No bother, all part of the big trip. My wife and I have cruised our c26 for 6 summers from Georgetown SC, to Ft. Pierce Fl. which is where she is currently. We've explored lots of rivers and Sea-Islands, met many good people and visited some great ports. While on the outside, we had some fantastic sleigh-rides and also spent time in the doldrums. We've done some beautiful cruising in the ditch. We never had a strict itinerary; we just cruised. When summer ended it was time to go home, and back to work. We stored the boat where ever we were, and continued our cruise the folowing June. The ICW is a wonderous and awsome waterway, but, some parts are better than others. At the time we passed throuth Georgia, we found lots of markers missing, big wide sounds with depths much less than chart depths. I've found that if you ground with keel down it's a simple matter, but with keel up, on a falling tide, now that can be real adventure.
Caz
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

EmergencyExit wrote:Also I think the South Coast 26 had an electric winch that raised and lowered a fin keel with a bulb.
We looked at one of those before buying Copacetic. It seemed like a really good setup, and the boat could be nice. However the one we looked at sounded like bubble wrap when walking on deck or the cockpit sole.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

I am considering installing an electric winch on my C22...here is a link to a company that makes what appears to be a good quality design that should work...12 VDC...back up manual winch handle in case of power failure... wired remote control available...http://www.dutton-lainson.com/index.php
Bill
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

A fairly cheap alternative might be something like this from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 96455.html. I don't know how large the unit is and you would need to replace the cable with SS one. For safety sake, a tripping device of some type should be used.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Captbondo, Glad to see that pic. That's about what I had in mind.
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.