Still need a good measurement.

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Jmckamey

Still need a good measurement.

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello to all! I hoisted my main sail not long ago on my C22 and have full standing room under the boom in the cockpit, I'm 5'10". Is this right? The main luff measures 21'3" and looks to be oem. Everything I have read states luff to be 23'. Seems the sail loft hasn't started on my new main so it looks like I get a second chance to get it right. I could really use a measurement to compare with. So, if one of you C22 sailors could measure the luff on your main and post I would be greatfull. Thanks, Jeff
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I am 5' 10" as well, but it seems to me if I'm standing in the cockpit and the boom comes around I have to duck or the boom will hit me in the face. So no it seems to me your boom is set too high. I use an OEM main sail and it fits nicely to the mast and boom at that hight. Sorry my Mast is down or I would get you the measurement.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
mariner

Diagram

Post by mariner »

Hope this helps...

1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Oooh BABY!! I've been looking for THAT page! Thanks.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Thanks for the specs sheet but I already have it, what I need is an actual measurement of the sail luff. (the leading edge of the sail) from the tack to the head. There seems to be a discrepancy between published data and real world dimentions. If we could get a couple of sails measured then we could all have some real numbers to supply sail makers with. Thanks, Jeff
Last edited by Jmckamey on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windward

Post by Windward »

As far as dimensions for sailmakers, the best bet is always to measure for yourself if possible... there does tend to be some natural variation from boat to boat. Most will provide measurement forms.

@Leatherneck, a less nice copy of that page, along with the rest of the owner's manual, is at http://www.chryslersailing.com/ under the "Manuals" section. I'll steal the image that mariner posted and use that a replacement, though.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

In the spec's on the C-22 it looks like the luff should be 25'. You may have a problem like I had on my C-26 where from sitting in the boat for 7 years damp hot cold you name it the rope in the luff shrank 15" I had to stretch it
slowly over 2 weeks wetting the sail every day and in the sun to dry. I stretched it until the fabric at the luff was taught.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Thanks for the kind advise all the same , but a couple measurements are what I'm in need of. Jeff
Last edited by Jmckamey on Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

@Jeff, sending you a PM on the manuals.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I am going sailing Mon so I could wait and measure mine on Tues morning when I'll fold it back up, but just for you Jeff I drug it out and did it today and the answer is........................................................................................................................................................................22'-6" now time to fold it back up for Monday ;)
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Thanks a ton! Will be intersting to see a couple more for a consistancy compairson. So far two sails, two different sizes, neither what chrysler says they otta be. Jeff
Windward

Post by Windward »

@Jeff, you really owe it to yourself to get an accurate measurement before you shell out for sails. I know your mast is down, but how about:

=> Pull the main halyard up as far as it will go
=> Measure from the shackle pin on the main halyard down to the point where the boom's gooseneck attaches to the mast (for this and all other measurements, make sure the tape is nice and taut)
=> While you're at it, measure from the hoisted halyard shackle pin to the base of the mast
=> On the boom, measure from gooseneck up to the tack pin.
=> Still on the boom, measure from the tack pin back to the outhaul connection point (either a shackle or, ideally, the shackle of a small single block with becket). This will be your maximum foot length
=> Subtracting the gooseneck to pin dimension from the halyard to gooseneck dimension to get your theoretical full hoist.

You're near Kingsport, right? So, with your measurements in hand, head to Watauga Lake, Lakeshore Marina. There are two Chrysler 22s there, and you can measure them to provide a sanity check for your measurements. I can get a hold of the owners to smooth things over if you want to actually raise the sails and measure that way.

Let me know if you're thinking of the trek to Watauga. Depending on when, I might be able to meet you there.

Jeff
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Jeff, thanks for the input. I have already done what you are talking about but with a floating goose neck those measurements mean nothing untill I have a couple of other sail mearsurements to compare with. My boat spent a few years in tied up in charlston SC and has provisions for a bimini top. For all I know the po had the sail cut to accomadate a full time top. For this reason I have have a problem taking my sail measurements as being true to design specs. So like I said, A couple of C22 main sail measurements to compare notes with so to speak should do just fine.
Last edited by Jmckamey on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

As I remember their were two different mast lengths for the 22 as well. My main still had the original emblem on it.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

one other thing I seem to remember a while back some discussion about a tall rig on the C-22 is your mast 26'6"? if it is longer with a stock main sail you would have more headroom under the boom.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Back in 2009, I got a quote from this manufacturer who makes Chrysler Sails still. This is coppied from the quote they gave me in 2009. I have never measured my main sails luff personally.

However it does make sence. My sail is the OEM sail and I bet it is the 25' spec show on the graphic above. Now if the spec below is correct for say a newer or older C-22 than mine, it could be 23.33' long.

As you said you are 5' 10" and the boom goes over your head. I'm 5' 10" and I can get a boom in the face. Both could be correct. If you have the 23.33' luff, you're sail would be better the 18" shorter than mine and it would go right over your head, nice and clean. :idea:

Boat Type: Chrysler C-22
Sail Type: Main
"P" 23.33
"E" 7.58
Other: Sail Area: 98
Roach Style Cruising

Super Sailmakers
4710-C NW 15th Avenue
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33309
ph: 954-763-6621 800-541-7601
fx: 954-767-0076
www.SuperSailmakers.com

Thanks
Alan
Last edited by Alanhod on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
cjreardon

Post by cjreardon »

Jeff,

I stretched out my main and it measured 275 3/4 inches (22.98 feet) I attached the head to a post and stretched out he luft as best I could and ran a continuous tape. I think I have the original Vector sail #182. I will leave the sail out this weekend if you need another measurement.

Carl
72 C-22 MissU
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Thanks for the measurement. I also found another sail to measure. It's a boat that showed up in the home town not long ago. I measured it at 23 feet. So, looks like the 23's have it. This would be in keeping with the posted p dimentions I have seen, and is also what my sailmaker uses. I realize the chrysler manual shows 25 feet for the P dim but 23 feet seems to be a very consistant number. My only conclusion is the po of my boat had the sail customized to accomadate a bimini. Must be the aircraft mechanic in me, I can't stand conflicting info! lol. Thanks to all. Btw cjreardon, are you getting to use the 20 much? Jeff
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

This returns me to another thread. If you two are 5'10" and have to duck as the boom comes across, when you put a bimini on is there still practical room to move around or are you permanently disfigured after departing the boat and unable to once again stand upright?

Paul
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Your right on the bimini heigth, to low to be practical on a boat this small, except I still have a short sail that might be an advantage. I could switch out on those slow sunny days. Which gives me a thought, I suspose one could buy a smaller, used sail with a bimini in mind. Would'nt be as efficent as the correct size, but one could ponder the pros and cons of that in the shade or dry which ever the case may be.