Bilge on a C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bryan

Bilge on a C-22

Post by bryan »

Hi all, this question has been asked before but I need to ask again to be sure. In this post:

viewtopic.php?t=772&highlight=bilge

...it is mentioned that there is no bilge on the C-22 but I wonder about that. In the compartment that has the keel pin I have a small quarter inch hole coming into that compartment from the v-berth area under the cabin floor that was designed into the boat. Whenever it rains, a little water gets into the boat and shows up in that keel pin compartment. I pump the water out and when its almost gone I notice water draining into this compartment from that small hole. It leads me to believe that water is coming in from the bilge under the v-berth area. Does anyone know for sure? Another possibly related item is that my boat lists slightly to starboard and I'm wondering if there is water on that side in the bilge area causing it.

If there is water in the bilge area I want to put an auto-bilge pump down there and that leads to my second question: has anyone cut into the cabin floor to put a bilge pump into a C-22? Is this doable and where to cut the hole, etc.

Any info would be appreciated - thank you.

Bryan
Last edited by bryan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

there is no bilge but there is a small gap between the inner and outer hulls than can hold water, I think the holes you speak of are to allow water a way out of this gap.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

What Banshi said...

I would look more for where the water is coming from than worrying about a bilge pump. Check the stanchions, pulpit, and forestay hardware. If it hasn't been down already it's an easy afternoon pulling and rebedding them all with the help of your first mate....

The starboard list issue has been discussed before, and general consensus is 1> Batteries. Relocate them... 2> Galley. It's heavier then it looks... 3> May be water in the foam below the Galley track. (But, I don't think I've heard of an actual case of water in there...)

Billy
bryan

Post by bryan »

Thanks Banshi and Bhacurly, what you have mentioned sounds reasonable - thanks for the insight. I definitely have a leak somewhere on that starboard side and will try to patch it. I really want a dry cabin so this will be priority. As for cutting into the floor for a bilge pump...I won't pursue that at this point.

But the starboard list has me stumped; my battery is portside and I have no galley. There's no visable weight on the starboard side that would cause it. I checked the mast too to make sure it wasn't leaning starboard and it definitely wasn't. I'd really like to have a look down in that bilge...

Regards,

Bryan
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Hey Bryan the area that the galley slides is completely foan filled, you should pull the chrome caps tosee if the foam is saturated.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hey Brian, I had an old power boat once and the areas under the floor and in the transom sides had the same floation foam installed. This stuff had gotten soaked over time and weighed a ton. I ended up having to cut the decks to remove said foam, stuff was dripping like a sponge. I guss you could create some storeage compartments under the starboard decking if you find the floation to be saturated. Otherwise I don't know how you would get the foam out of those one inch holes. Once this stuff holds water it will not let it go.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

Doing work on my project 27, I had to put some of those small holes through epoxy bewtween the hull and liner in places that kept water from draining into my bilge. In the C-22 there could be similiar goop preventing water from draining under the galley area into that keel pin area which is the low point of the hull.

I think Gus put small holes along the bottom of his to let any water out. And I seem to remember a post where we discussed putting an inspection port above the floor/under the galley area that would let you see the foam also... I did a search but didn't have any luck.

Is the boat in the water now, or do you trailer?
mariner

pump

Post by mariner »

been thinking about having a pump and auto float on board for a while now, PO had one in the compartment where the keel cable comes through, but it was not hooked up. I think i am going to install an auto pump there permanently mounted (any suggestions on which is best ?) I was also thinking of making a "portable" setup. An auto pump mounted on a piece of SS and wire to a 12 v.plug - (I placed two receptacles) in my new layout, that way i could just place it at the bottom of the boat for when i'm away(route the water discharge hose through the hatch boards) any thoughts on this ? I used to get about a gallon of water in the bottom of the boat i thought it was coming in at the hatch, so I added a section of pipe insulation on the top hatch....and wala no water, it was blowing in when it rained.
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
bryan

Post by bryan »

Thanks for your advice guys. Based on your comments, I'm thinking it might very well be saturated foam in the bilge area. I'll try to check it and let you know.

Regards,

Bryan